• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 doesn't start on first key turn.

soilman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 that when I turn the key and crank it won't start until I turn it off and crank it again then starts just fine. I hate this as I know its going to wear out the ignition switch, starter and engine to do this every time. I've changed spark plugs, cleaned the injectors and throttle body. I've read it maybe a leaking injector, or needs a new fuel pump is what the shops say. I've also heard I can put an antiflow valve on the gas line to keep fuel in the line. I hear the pump pumping when I turn the key on the first time and second time. Any help would be great.

Bad Check Valve. Everything will last at least 8 years, because that is how long my 2000 has done the same thing. An in-line check valve is not a good solution, it has been tried numerous times and causes more problems than it fixes.

So that is the fun job of replacing the fuel pump then. Oh boy joy.

Its not bad unless you have skids that dont want to come off. Pretty easy really. I live in a rust belt and just put a pump in my zj in less than an hour. My dewalt chordless impact backed the strap nuts right off.

That's what I was afraid of after living in North Dakota for a few years figured it would be rusted over on the straps. And do it when the gas tank is empty as well I'm sure. ;)

Start spraying any skid plate bolts and j bolts you don't want to cut off today. :)

That and getting the big ring back on the tank are usually the hardest parts of the job.

I know when I changed the pumps on mine to cure this the joy of a fast starting Jeep was worth it. To me anyway. :D

like everyone else said, probably a faulty check valve but...I had the same symptoms and I limped it along by doing the "turn the key twice" prime method for around 6 months before the fuel pump finally died in front of my house last week.

after reading a bit more it seems as though the hard start can be caused by either a faulty check valve, or, the brushes in the pump itself may be failing. From my reading, if it's harder to start when hot there's a good chance that the brushes are failing and your pump itself is on borrowed time.

In either case I'd replace the pump sooner rather than later - mine died in front of my house after limping it along for quite a while, I'm glad it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere..dropping the tank isn't difficult so I would go that route. Personally when mine died I had a full tank of gas and was parked on a 30 degree slope so I just opted to cut a small hole in the rear hatch, rebuilt and replaced the pump then sealed and covered the hole with sheet metal. My jeep has some rust, it's far from a new vehicle and mostly gets used offroad so cutting a hole didn't bother me at all, but YMMV

And from what I'm reading the Bosch is the best one which I can get on amazon for $185 the rest seems like peoe are having issues with them

And from what I'm reading the Bosch is the best one which I can get on amazon for $185 the rest seems like peoe are having issues with them
I'll PM you a link for the fuel pump you need, as well as directions for rebuilding the pump yourself in a minute. It's not hard at all and rebuilding it yourself will save you some money if that's important.

Back