• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Roof Rack (M2 Browning Mount)

The Badness

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, formalities out of the way: 99 xj classic, 4.0, 4x4, 4dr, aw4.

Need some help finding a roof rack (preferably tubular for strength) that can hold some serious weight (300+ lbs) Ive seen the designs incorporating the slider bars that seem viable but I cant seem to find one anywhere for sale. Id like it to cover the entire roof. If none available to buy, any tips on mounting options for that kind of weight bearing setup? Im mounting an M66 ring mount and M2 browning to the top rack (yes, this is happening). Seen alot of JKs do it, but never an XJ.

Last edited:
Alot of modifications will come with this setup, gunners platform, dual jump seats (in place of the bench), sunroof, power to manual window conversion, some kind of vinyl flooring, CARC tan paint job to name a few

You might be better off fabricating your own roof rack for the special purpose of caring that m2 but if you are looking to buy my question is how much will be modified for the M2?

Well, the roof rack would have to be modified anyway, a 48" circular modification on the roof rack for the m66 mount (being 48" at the mount bolt location) it'll take up most of the width of the roof, which is why I'll affix the ring to the roof rack and utilize a sunroof to access the ring. So a custom design will more likely be needed. My main question is, what should I mount the rack to? I don't think a gutter mount would hold that weight, m2+rack+ring mount=close to 500lbs

not sure but pics will be needed of the end result

There'll definatly be pics. My first step is the designing process, I'm working on a 1/10 scale replica of the jeep for visualization. Gutted one of those rc jeeps and put an xj body on it with scale tires. Working on a working design for the roof rack now

Trying to avoid the Exo cage, how about an endo cage? The rack could mount to that through the roof perhaps. On second thought maybe a partial Exo encompassing the cab only. My only off put on the Exo is there are going to be exterior modifications down the road, the Exo may get in the way

You could do a hybrid cage, that much weight it will likely need some renforcement to the roof. With the hybrid the down side is its a lot of work.

That's why I was thinking the interior cage. Just extend it through the roof by drilling 2" holes through the roof and mount the rack directly to the interior cage. Bypass the roof alltogether

I'm debating whether or not to start on the jump seats and gunners platform first, to get that out of the way I was thinking the jump seats from a Nissan
410d971f240fc8993712b4c6baa8bfcd.jpg

56e75413a516fe0f511e45cfe53051d7.jpg

Here's the basic design for the roof rack I've drawn up so far (CAD) 1.5" tubing....got more to design like the built in 48" tubular circle for the m66 mount, and aux lighting cage on the front for 4 hella 500s

Good luck getting that tight a bend radius.

I could prob utilize the original bench seat. Just remove the middle section in red then figure out a way to resew the exposed pieces to look like individual seats....would still be able to flip them up....sorta. Then put the platform between them on the transmission hump.

a854383d4ced3af9e556c873e73262e4.jpg

Very ambitious considering you don't sound to have a tube bender/fabrication background. (Not intended to sound mean, just how I read it. ;) )
An interior cage with body bushings to transfer the load and MA deuce shake through the roof may work. Mounting a skate ring to the cage via roof then bushings won't be easy but will have the least obnoxious profile.
I'd wait on playing with any troop seats as you'll be tempted to try and fit the gun to your previous work. You'll want the gun in place to get a feel for firing height.
Look at how the HMMWV pulls it off (non crows system) and bare in mind even in the much larger hmmwv it's still uncomfortably a small area to ride the gun. Not even gonna mention the diabolical butt strap seat. :eek:
Also..look at some of haji's technical trucks for ideas. Not always very polished but those dudes can mount anything on anything! Lol

The m66 ring mount is 48" across there is pleeenty of room. Lol the hummwv turret is hopelessly small but I was considering it until a friend of mine presented his "double deuce" (m35a2 with mounted m2) using the m66. Much roomier. I'd definitely have to mount it to the roof rack. I've already measured the standing height, roof rack and mount, pintle mount and gun height. All considered it puts the weapon at just below the upper chest of a 6' person. Which is perfect for me. Nope, all fabs requiring advanced tools will be completed by my wallet haha. It definatly would need the endo cage. My estimates put spike weight (bouncing on rough terrain) of everything together close to 1000lbs. This is spike weight. Standing weight around 500lbs. The only thing that sucks is the sunroof. 15x32 (lol) may have to rethink that one.

Last edited:
Back