• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another catalytic converter question...sorry

jeepster1985

NAXJA Forum User
My catalytic converter is rattling like there's no tomorrow. I went to a muffler shop and asked how much a new cat would be....said something like 200.00 weel thats a little out of my budget right now...i'm a college student. I was wanting to put a piece of pipe in place of my cat but the guy said if i did that my check engine light would stay on, and that would bug me plus there wouldnt be a place for me to put my o2 back in any suggestions??????

You kinda need it. Is against the law not to have one. Your XJ is designed for one in a number of different ways. Gotta bite the bullet is my thinking. There are cheaper converters that will work on your XJ- although you neglected to say what year it is.

If your's is rattling then it is definitely time to replace it before it restricts the flow and potentially does damage to the engine. A straight pipe is not the way to go and the shop cannot leagally do that. Not worth the risk anymore.

I agree with Judd. You need a new cat. Assuming that your jeep is '88 or higher, the O2 sensor is what kills you on price of a cat. You should be able to find one online for a lot less than $200, but you'll have to look around. Your check engine light WILL go on without the O2 sensor in, but a good way to check, is to just remove it and turn on the engine. I ripped the wires on mine while wheelin' (bracket fell off and wires got caught up in u-joint). Soon as that happened I heard a big clunk and the light when on. Got nervous but after inspection realized that it was not a crippling injury. A new O2 sensor from the stealership cost $90 though. You won't pass smog with a test pipe in place of the cat.

Jeepster --

You have to tell us what year and what engine. There are differences from year to year.

About 3 months ago I went to the local performance shop and for just under $400 he put on a high flow cat and manufactured a 2.5 in down pipe from the header to the cat. If you need a new one might as well get a high flow model. It does make a difference especially if you eventually get a good intake and high flow exhaust. $200 sounds a little high for just replacing the stock cat. Might want to get a couple more opinions before forking over the dough.

Back