• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding ABS Brakes -2001XJ

DanDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ is a 2001 model with ABS.The shop manual says to bleed the system normally and then use a DRB tool and cycle the solenoids followed by a second normal bleed. Is the use of the DRB tool necessary? Is this a dealer only activity ? Can the solenoids and pump be cycled without the tool? If I replace the MC I am guessing that bleeding the ABS module is important.
Thanks
Dandxj

The abs module can be bled with any higher end scanner ie snap-on, Mac or Matco and sometimes OTC but try bleeding with a helper first pushing on the pedal in the normal bleed procedure. Gravity bleeding almost never works when actuating the abs module is part of the bleed procedure

The abs module can be bled with any higher end scanner ie snap-on, Mac or Matco and sometimes OTC but try bleeding with a helper first pushing on the pedal in the normal bleed procedure. Gravity bleeding almost never works when actuating the abs module is part of the bleed procedure

Gravity bleeding only bleeds the line, and to be Frank, just redistributes the air instead of removing it. It really isn't effective. The master cylinder is closed, and the bleeder is open. The air is not going to travel down the line, and out. Think of it like a straw in a coke. If you put your finger over the end, and pull the straw out, the coke stays put.

The drb is the best way to "home" the abs valves.

Try to bleed it normally, 9.9 times out of 10, this works fine with abs equipped jeeps and many other makes. Sometimes it doesn't, which is were the scanner comes in.

All is not lost though. Unplug a wheel speed sensor and back it up (or pull up) to get the abs light on. (System shuts off) all the valves will be at "home" then bleed your brakes normally. Recconect you sensor and clear codes if you have to.

If you have access to a gravel / dirt road, with nobody around, or a big snowy parking lot (with nobody around!) I think we all know how you can get the ABS solenoids to cycle. Scan tool is best but hooliganism works too.

Never had an issue bleeding abs brakes using regular bleeding procedures. Only thing I do differently for ABS is crack the bleeder valve when pressing the caliper cup back in.

When I gravity bleed, I keep something on the brake pedal so it keeps the master cylinder open too. Only do that if I'm tired and can't find a helper or if I want to completely drain the system,though.

I've got ABS and this is what I found successful. First, crack open a bleeder, push the brake pedal completely in and brace against the seat. I used a 2x4 cut to size and an old towel on the seat end.

Then use a pressure bleeder. I bought Motive's Pressure bleeder kit for late model Chrysler Jeeps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0103/overview/

This worked great and got rid of my mushy pedal and it was a one man operation. I started at the rear, work my way forward. I've tried several bleeders even had a favorite garage do it, but this yielded the best results. A note is that the gaskets in the kit are a little too thick and make it difficult to seat the pressure cap, I used rubber gasket material from Auto Zone cut to size to create a better seal.

Last edited:
Back