• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bosch replacement fuel pump

kootenayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a Bosch Premium replacement fuel pump for my 2000 XJ, P/N 69222, with the intention of removing my fuel pump assembly and rebuilding the unit along with installing new filters and fuel pressure regulator.

I have one concern that I'm hoping someone can help me out with, the packaging is new, unopened and contains two filters, a new fuel pressure regulator, new gasket, assorted electrical connections and instructions. However, the bottom of the fuel pump itself appears to be missing a plastic ring referred to as the "filter screen adapter" in the instructions which is used to attach a filter to the bottom of the pump.

Before I drop the tank, pull everything apart and find out that I'm indeed missing a part, could someone please verify this for me?

I've attached a photo showing what the bottom of the fuel pump looks like, and another doing my best to point out the plastic ring they show in the instructions (at the tip of the flat-head screwdriver). Note the instructions below the photo refer to the "filter screen adapter" and "rubber supporter" in question.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0792_zpsqdzttmdm.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsjqb4wsa0.jpg

well, I guess I'm going to find out my answer much sooner rather than later. Fuel pump completely died today (luckily in front of my house after running around town for 20 starts and stops).

Too bad I just filled up with a full tank of gas, it's sleeting out and I live on a 30 degree slope haha. I might attempt cutting a hole in the rear floorboard, pulling the pump out, R&R'ing it then putting it back in.

The pump has a rubber adapter on the bottom that you will transfer to the new pump.

I'm actually in the process of reworking my fuel system as well... and cut a hole in the floor to remove the module. Dropping the tank with a skid and hitch sucks! I'll have a 1/8" alum cover plate that will seal the floor back up. If you do it carefully and correctly (drill your corners!) you shouldn't have an issue.

The rubber adapter is on the left in this pic...

The pump has a rubber adapter on the bottom that you will transfer to the new pump.

I'm actually in the process of reworking my fuel system as well... and cut a hole in the floor to remove the module. Dropping the tank with a skid and hitch sucks! I'll have a 1/8" alum cover plate that will seal the floor back up. If you do it carefully and correctly (drill your corners!) you shouldn't have an issue.

The rubber adapter is on the left in this pic...

wow good timing. can you please post (or PM if you'd rather) the measurements you took to cut the access port? it would save me the hassle of crawling around in the slush.

to the other poster, I'm not concerned with cutting holes in my jeep. I understand the risks of doing it improperly and it wouldn't be the first hole that I've cut and patched in 11 years of jeep ownership.

just called around and the shops want $600 with an airtex pump installed, nobody wants to do the R&R with the bosch unit I have. Price isn't bad but I don't want an airtex pump in my vehicle. The dealer wants closer to $1k to do it with a genuine mopar pump...

So I went ahead and cut an access panel in the back of my jeep. care must be given to not puncture the tank as it's less than 1/8 away from the floorboards in many spots, less if your floor is dented like mine. I found the best way to avoid damaging the tank was to mark the center of the fuel pump, drill a hole big enough to see whats going on underneath then start working your way outwards with tin snips or your cutting tool of choice since the center of the pump is recessed lower than the rest of the tank (no problems using a grinder except you have to be aware of just how close to rollover/vent tube, wiring harness, FPR etc are when you are cutting).

I got some very detailed dimensions from a member of cherokeeforum (thanks CCken!) which got me going in the right direction without crawling around underneath in the slush. Because this is mostly an off-road only jeep I didn't sweat the details too much; but the measurements he gave me served as a great starting point and saved me a world of headache.

Call me a hick but as far as I'm concerned it's not a bad job and is "good enough" for me. Once a panel is bolted back in and the carpet is on top, bobs your uncle. Reality is that my jeep is a 15 year old XJ that I retired from daily driving duties a few years ago and now spends 80% of it's life bombing around on dirt roads...but YMMV and haters will always hate.

Back