• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding HD Leaf Springs-Should I Replace Anything Else?

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, Daily Driver
rear leaf springs are shot.

i've decided to go with heavy duty leaf springs as a replacement. I've read that they will actually provide roughly a 1.75" lift. I will replace all the bushings and I believe that most people add spacers to the front to even out the lift.

1) Would this be a good time to replace all the shocks? They have almost 30K on them. If so do you recommend a brand?

2) Do coils wear out also? Should those be replaced along with the next springs?

3) With this little extra clearance could I increase my tire diameter without having to do any cutting or other mods? I currently run 235/75/15, I've heard a larger tire might fit after spring repair.

Thanks for any input

1. Replace shocks. Bilstein 5100s at a min. if you can afford it.
2. Coils do not typically seem to get as beat up as quickly as leafs.
3. With non sagged suspension, 30x9.5 tires seem to fit without much issue.
You may need to trim the inner part of the plastic front bumper piece where it extends to the fenderwell, and possibly a bit of the flare.

Be sure to use new u-bolts.

30" tires might rub on the lower control arms with stock rims.

If you were lifting your rig another 1.5" you could use JK take-off shocks.
They work well, are fairly plentiful, and can be had for cheap... sometimes even free.

ok planning on replacing all four shocks and springs with factory spec HD upcountry stuff. New shackles, leaf spring bushings, coil isolators, bump stops and sway bar end links/bushings. saw a post where someone did the same and fit 30x9.5x15s without a problem.

sound about right?

Have you ever done any of this before? If not read up on it and give yourself plenty of time.

The top shock bolts on the rear tend to be rusted and break and the shackle bushing freeze up and are tough to get out some times too, most of the time actually.

There are fixes and ways around all of it online. Do some research, will help you prepare for the problems you might encounter.

Upper shock bolts are a PITA to get to. You can't even reach to put the bolts and washers back in. I had to use fishing line to get them in there. It sucks.

Back