• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget lighting upgrades?

KyleJ73

NAXJA Forum User
What's everyone using for spot/fog lights? I'm not crazy on the new light bar trend but I do like the small pod lights. Looking to spend $100 or so, not opposed to an old style round KC light either.

Thoughts/Opinions/Pictures?

Upgraded headlight harness.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221349534772?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought a pair of these:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IY3YLCI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01
Also, another paid if the spot variety. I am currently running one of each in the front. Will do the same for the rear.
Also, bought one of these, basically to check out the quality, and being kinda lazy..
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O72R7Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

How do you like those pod lights? I'm already wired for the fronts from the PO of my Jeep but one is broken and the other is burnt out. I'd love to grab a set of those knockoff LED pods but I question their quality. I'm totally OK with paying more for a quality product, but it seems like the Rigid and other name brand CREE LED lights are over-inflated.

They work great! I picked them up on the account of rocknxj talking about them in his "frog blog" thread. They throw nice white light, seem solid. I'll have to get a pic one of these evenings. But, it's been cold! Haha. Not sure if the discount is still available, but I bought both sets from the same "amazon fulfilled" seller and they had a 2$ off 2 or more products.
Initially,I still kinda had doubts.. but I jumped on them for the price.
I do live in an area with no street lights, and there are a couple places down the street that I think might "show" these off.

If you are looking for better light performance in foggy/rainy conditions it is worth investing in some sort of yellow lense lights.

What exactly are you trying to light up? Foul weather? Long country roads? Dark tight trails? The type of terrain you need to illuminate would determine the type of lighting you need.

I'm running an upgraded headlight harness with Autopal E-code housings and Osram bulbs. Hella long range 500FFs on my bull bar, and Hella yellow 55w bulbs in my stock fog lights (also an upgrade harness installed.) On my A-pillars I have the Detours light brackets with the same LED pods Johnnie posted (RTV sealed). Plenty of lighting for me driving the interstate or SC backroads.

Be aware that LEDs are extremely bright and can be very dangerous to oncoming traffic, regardless of proper aiming. Position and use them well

What will an upgraded head light harness accomplish?

Johnny - what are you using that harness on? I clicked the link to the Ebay ad and it shows that harness is not compatible with my 2001 XJ.

The stock wiring is very small, like 16ga IIRC. Plus it goes a long way, from the battery through the switch and back to the headlights. The result is a significant drop in current (probably needed to keep from melting the switch and thin wiring). With heavier 12ga wiring and a relay, you eliminate the drop and get full power to the lights. It makes a significant improvement.

Back