• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000xj heater issue - Barely blowing when set to heat.

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj. Threw in my 98 long block (cause blown 0331 head).
All fan settings work correctly, but not getting much in the way of heat.
When set to cold, the vents blow MUCH harder than when set to heat. On max heat setting, on defrost, you can barely feel any air coming out the side window vents, and the defrost vents are definitely restricted. Restriction ONLY occurs when set to heat. Cold it blows normally.
Checked the heater hoses. Input is hot, output is cold, as it should be.

All I can think is that there must be something caked on the outside of the heater core, blocking air flow, but I've no idea what the inside of the 2000 HVAC looks like.
Ideas?

Actually, I don't even know what a GOOD XJ HVAC does. My blend door on my 98 has always been broken, so I bypassed it and just used the AC core for heat instead.
If I forget the fan issue and instead assume XJ HVAC routing just sucks, then the output hose being substantially colder sorta makes it seem like I just need a heater core flush. Will go do that now.
Chime in though if I'm missing something.

Back