• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column replacement

BobbyD433

NAXJA Forum User
Alright y'all:wave:, I picked up this 1989 XJ (Facebook Project XJ) for a mear $500.00. Knowing it has issues. Breaks, cooling and door locks to name a few. Steering Column is the big deal for me. I also think that there's a problem with the charging system but that would be another topic.

I picked up a replacement steering column from 95 XJ out of a wrecker in N.C. and replaced the damaged original unit. Exchanged the electronic components and made the connections with ease.

Now the Toad doesn't start! Help me out here please. Everything went together fine with little effort. Like changing a dyper. What could have gone wrong? :gee:

If it cranked before the swap, and now doesn't crank, I would assume something is not right in the column, maybe mis-adjusted ignition switch or lock cylinder, or something is miswired or not connected. What all was swapped over and what was changed exactly?

After the purchase of the xj It did drive, I drove it home.

The replacement column is from a 95 XJ. The electronics on the lower section were different. So I swapped them over and made all the connections as previously aligned. Does the shafts to the column need any special adjusting?

Back