• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift advice

01825xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have researched and researched and researched some more about lift kits. I've talked to local shops and now I'm posting here.
I know that in the end this will be my decision. So I am looking for some advice and input.
I want to lift my 01 Cherokee. It is 4wd. Np 231. Chrysler 8.25. Dana 30.
I have recently replaced the front coils with moog cc782 variable rate springs. And the rears with dorman Orem leafs. My jeep now sits higher in the rear than the front. I also have mj shackles.. I had to put a TC drop kit after installing the leafs and coils. What do I plan to do with it the jeep. It's mainly a dd right now with some rough mountain trails when hunting. The ultimate goal is to have it regeared in the front and rear. And get 32 to 33 inch tires and I'd like 4 to 6 inches of lift. And have it be a weekend driver and trail rig.
So I've been looking at the Rc 4.5 inch x series. Complete lift kit. 830 for kit. Then 750 installed at one of the local shops. Done in 1 day.
I've looked at zones stuff and I like it but the Rc kit comes with everything I need. Minus a sye. And ds.
My next option is piecing my lift kit together. Right now I can buy re 4.5 inch springs for 130 for the pair. I've got my eyes on 4 s10s at the jy to build a bastard pack. For 60 bucks. I have see a few hd adjustable trac bars for decent prices. Then the Lca and Uca are big money. I would prefer to have mid grade to high grade quality. Which is 4 to 650$$$$. Then there is brake lines, drop pitman arm and shocks, I was looking at bilsteins for my shocks 300 for 4.
Now that's a lot of money to throw at the jeep but it is spread out over time and I can get some real high quality parts. And I'm not afraid to install the lift myself over a weekend.
Sosa box lift kit or piece it together ??? Any input would be appreciated

Piece it together and don't be afraid to buy used items, that allows you to customize how you want your rig built.
Since yours is a 01' model, I'd look into a 91'-99' xj front axle as yours is a low pinion d30 and the years I posted are high pinion d30 which are better.

I would go 4.5 long arm, piece it together, rough country leafs,track bar and shocks are lousy. For you I think the long arms would be fine and 4.56's with 33's will give you the extra power to pull through the trails with added weight ect plus have a decent low range. If I were you I would go rough country longarm, bds springs bilstein or entry level fox shock, bump stop it correctly add gas tank skid and a hitch front and rear and a locker in the rear and enjoy.

Piece it together and don't be afraid to buy used items, that allows you to customize how you want your rig built.
Since yours is a 01' model, I'd look into a 91'-99' xj front axle as yours is a low pinion d30 and the years I posted are high pinion d30 which are better.

What are the advantages to hp vs low pinion.?

Do they sell just the long arms?

High pinion is stronger than low pinion, as mentioned above it reduces driveline angle and helps keep yoke of harms way.

im guessing the reason you are wanting to pay to have it done is because it is your daily, and you want to get it back on the road asap? if you are mildly mechaniacally inclined, consider tackling the job yourself, you should be able to get it done starting on a friday afternoon, and working through the weekend. you can even try getting together with people from your local chapter, and having them help. even if you have to buy tools, youll have them for life. and youll become more intimate with the jeep, knowing how things work and why.

as far as lifts... i started with an RE 4.5" super flex kit. it proved to be a very complete kit compared to most on the market. ive ran (largely) the same lift from 31s all the way to 35s. and its only been recent years (got it circa 2008) that ive started replacing parts with other aftermarket components and custom fabricated ones... thats because i got a little more knowledge on how things worked, and what i wanted out of the jeep.

I would piece it together too. And I'd consider the TNT long arm kit over the rough country. It's a couple hundred $ more, but you won't have to replace the joints, the link mounts are tucked above the cross member, and you get a solid t-case skid. And it's made in 'merica.

Simplest answer to front axle is--- better driveline angles with lift.

Thank you for the simple answer.

Right now, I'm gonna stick with the low pinion and search for a hp along the way.
Having a shop do it does mean fast turn around, but I am pretty handy and am confident that I could get it done in a weekend.
I'm gonna trust my gut and start piecing it together, plus it'll be more rewarding building my own lift.
And finally. I would LOVE a long arm kit. But that's going to be further down the road. I love the idea of a long arm but don't know if I can put that kind of money out right now. So, 4.5 inches short arm kit. For now. unkess I run across some long arms for a sweet deal.
Re 4.5 coils
Bastard leaf pack.
Shackle relocation brackets. Adjustable trac bar. And adjust Lca and Uca.
What can you guys recommend for lcas and Ucas?

First and foremost, why did you need to drop your T-case from putting in stockish spring replacements? You either got a decent amount of lift or it sounds like your masking another issue...

Last edited:
Ahh, you are just down the road from me (Anderson)...we should get together. I have a shop with lift and could assist with your wrenching needs, for beer of course. Bilsteins are a great shock choice, and upgrading to a HP D30 is highly recomended. I am looking to buy a turded out XJ with a manual trans to swap into mine...could get the HP from there

First and foremost, why did you need to drop your T-case from putting in stockish spring replacements? You either got a decent amount of lift or it sounds like your masking another issue...

Idk why I had to put a t case drop on it but I did and the noise has gone away for now. the rear from center of axle to bottom of flair is 20 1/4 inch. Front is 19 1/4.

I also tried pulling the front driveshaft
I don't have play in my rear pinion. The rear diff looks good.
TC engages 4wd great never had any issues and fluid is good in there.
My front pinion is leaking and I need to do new spicers on my front axles.
So idk why I needed my TC drop. So I plan on a sye kit. I already have a spare front shaft

I also tried pulling the front driveshaft
I don't have play in my rear pinion. The rear diff looks good.
TC engages 4wd great never had any issues and fluid is good in there.
My front pinion is leaking and I need to do new spicers on my front axles.
So idk why I needed my TC drop. So I plan on a sye kit. I already have a spare front shaft

I did all that before I decided to get the TC drop, it is a temporary thing till I get my sye kit

Back