• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Long Arm - interchangeable parts?

sstonerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 1996 Xj that has a Rustys 6.5 long arm. The guy who had it before I dont think ever greased the flex joints. I have replaced the two upper bushings so far.

The flex joints at the cross member have alot of movement, I tried taking them apart , greasing and tightening but they are to far gone.

I have a 4 Wheel parts here in Tucson so I was hoping I could maybe interchange some of the joints with RE stuff.

I did call rustys and got the part numbers or the flex joint at the crossmember and lower axle bushings which they say are OEM bushings like the uppers.

I need the part number the for the radius arm flex joint or if anyone knows what RE parts I could substitute.

Thanks

the rustys arms i just got rid of had a pretty large acme style thread at the frame side... admittedly they were fairly old, so their design may have changed. but identify the thread, and you can start searching for replacement joints.

You can run re long arms but they are like 1/2" too long depending on lift. Cut off some threads on the long arm and cut the jam nut in half and they will fit. Rusty cross member brings the arms lower than the re kit. When modded they work well. Even better if your stretching the front an inch or so and redoing the coil mounts. Keep the axle and drives haft away from oil pan and header.

Stock clevite bushings are a pain to change out unless you have a good press. I used a 90 ton piranha to make things move.

I've been happy with the new re bushings they are using now. I got mine when trans took over and updated the bushings. Dd on 35". No bump steer. Swinging 14" of travel.

As I call it the jk challenge get up to 75 take hands off steering wheel and drive a few miles. Your xj can do it but never drove a jk that can. Just get your stuff dialed and tight.

Back