• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf strength w/dirtbike carrier+loaded up

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any issues bending/breaking the main leaf (oem or oem replacement) when really loaded down? I have the Crown "upcountry" replacement leafs which suck pretty bad. I have a 80lb dirtbike carrier plus a ~250lb dirtbike(leveraged out a good amount) plus gas/gear putting weight on the back. I'm not sure how it would hold up to some good hits on a dirt road or highway. I DO plan on taking the mains from my old leaf pack to use as add-a-leafs under the new main, but that won't be until January. The gear, extra gas, passenger were not loaded when i took the pictures. You guys think I'll be good?

Unless you plan on wheeling heavily with the dirt bike on the back you should be fine... Although I personally would find a stock XJ set and cut the eyes off the main for a full length "AAL" shouldn't net much of any lift but will increase the load carrying capacity of the leafs. Maybe a slight compensation with a rougher ride... But I doubt you'd notice. And you'd save the fatigue off the main leaf.

+1 for "full length AAL". It looks pretty flat back there.
That said - at stock height & with the tow package, the XJ is rated as able to haul 500 lbs tongue weight as part of a 5,000 lb trailer. Jeep made no claims as to how long before you jacked up your suspension but it did say 500 lbs on the tongue.

Thanks for the input guys. I have my old leafs waiting for me, just too busy to get the AAL done until winter break. I'm going to go ahead with it tomorrow. Its about a 30-40 mile trip each way and I am taking a less traveled route just in case.

Back