• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ-Alarm system immobilizer

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Good News! After searching for months for a suitable replacement for my tired old 88, I secured a 1999 XJ Sport. Its completely stock, and in outstanding condition for its age. I'm hoping that some of the guru's familiar with the new models can shed some light on a small issue I am having...
Picked it up today. It only has 1 key and a remote fob. The key seems like a standard Chrysler key, and what appears to be an oem (Jeep) fob. In order to start it, you have to hit the unlock button. Otherwise, key inserted and turned will not do anything- like a disconnected starter. Sitting in the seat, after entering an unlocked vehicle it will not start, every time you must hit the unlock button. I've tried the unlock on the door rest with no success, really no choice but to hit the fob.

My question is: Is the immobilizer system? I don't see any dash lights flashing. A quick check underhood, and I don't see any aftermarket boxes or modules. I would like to have a spare key but it doesn't seem like an option since the fob is required. I have searched the RKE module, but I didn't realize it was part of the ignition as well. Thoughts please??

Just as an update: there is a sticker on the passenger side door stating "equipped with Mopar EVS II" electronic security system. I'm searching as we speak.

There was one of those POS' on my 99 when I bought it. Total hack job installing it. The brain was mounted up under the steering column. I ripped it out, along with the speaker and all the wiring. Took an hour.

On the stock system, if it did not recognize a sentry key it would start, run for a second then die. I'm not sure your system is factory.

Check under the steering column for an aftermarket module. That is the most likely placement for it.

Well, as I was removing the knee panel to swap out the turn signal switch, I found it. It is indeed the mopar EVS system. Pretty shoddy looking install too. I'm going to wait a few days until I attempt to rip it all out. On the upside, I can at least have some spare keys made now!

Back