• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Meet & Greet & local run suggestions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, for those interested in SoCal Chapter it'd be probably nice to meet each other. I would like to have all of us (some of us?) meet and maybe do a short run :) :) .

Looking for a somewhat central spot to most, I think Big Bear area is not a bad idea, or Gorman. It all depends on who is planning to come.

For a date, I'd suggest end of March so that we all get some time to organize things and plan.

Also Richard is suggesting that the April JV run be held already under the SoCal Chapter hat. I second that idea as if we get our stuff together and get things going quickly enough, that would provide the run insurance coverage :) :)

Kejtar

One thing about JV. Rumor has it even the "easy" stuff on that run is too much for my "Little XJ that could." Not sure if I'll be in attendance.

Gorman would be better. Its got a little of everything, Mellow trails to Miller/Lockwood. JV has nothing for the under 4" and 33s guys. Ok sorry if you like playing in sand washs and dirt hills thats fine. Id say Gorman.

Robert K
aka KINGSIZE

I don't remember recommending the April JV run be used to meet about the chapter, but that could be my older memory, and the insurance coverage wouldn't apply, anyway. It's not going to be easy to find a time and place that is good for everyone. I'd like to be there, and I have three possible times. Sunday, Mar 2, but that's TDS and I don't know how many people will go. The weekend in April, 12-13, that some of us will be in Johnson Valley, and the Sunday after the Santigao run, April 27. If I can't be there, I understand, but we need to take it slow so we can find a time when most who are interested can attend.

As far as location, remember that we're talking from Bakersfield and Ridgecrest all the way to San Diego and Santa Barbara. I don't know if Gorman is a very good place for those from San Diego, but we'll have to let them say. it may not be that much different than many of us driving to Big Bear. The Johnson Valley weekend is a possibility, only because we'll already be there, and it's fun even if you don't run trails yourself. If we can get someone who knows the area to lead a run on Sat, there are plenty of places for the less built rigs to explore. The other possibility is Big Bear on March 2, but we'll need to find out how many are planning to go to TDS. We also don't need to do it as a run. We can meet at a pizza place or something just for an afternoon or evening.

I don't know what town is a good choice for a central location, we need to consider San Diego, Ridgecrest, and Santa Barbara. Looking at a map it looks like Pamona/Ontario is the most centrally located if we didn't do run. We need to hear from more people about using Big Bear, as far as drive time, I don't know how that works out, it may not be any different than Gorman. We need to get a little more input, and then put out a couple of choices to see what most will prefer.

If it was up to me, at this point I'd recommend Sunday April 27, after Santigao. It would give us plenty of time to plan, and discuss things, and we could finalize some things at the meeting. Again, we need to remember that a meeting would be nice, but isn't necessary to get a chapter started.

Richard G

Richard, Big Bear is closer from San Diego and we don't have to fight any LA traffic.March 2nd would work for me but I think you are right about leaving some more time.April 27 would give us lots of time to get a little more organized. I think we should meet at a run since people might be coming from a long way off. Some people might not want to go that far for pizza.
Dave Taylor

I also think that Big Bear is pretty close to centrally located for everyone too.. its a two hour drive for me & I'm in So. Los Angeles. I think April 27th would be a good date won't be to cold nor hot (hopefully).It would also give me time to be become a member, and everyone else time to get it all planned out. As Dave said it would probably be best to offer trails and pizza!

Scott Suyeto
Gardena, 90247

How about

The first Sunday of April? April 6th as a potential alternative to the APril 27th (I don't think I stepped on any other schedules :) ).

The reason I suggested Big Bear is that you can get to it without having to drive through LA area if you are coming form South (SD people) or North (all them weirdo's :) ). Plus the area has some nice variety of trails which will allow for everyone to drive and enjoy themselves :)

Kejtar

I'll be at Santiago's Shred-Fest the weekend of April 26-27. If we meet in Big Bear, I'll either drive there Sat night or early Sun morning. I wonder if anyone else is planning to go to the Santiago event.

I hate to impose my limited schedule on the rest of you, but if a date that I'm available works for everyone else, I appreciate it. I work every other weekend, and I have things planned for every weekend that I have off until July.

Richard G

April 26/27 is open for me (so far, part of that will be BSA and GSA schedules that aren't out yet).

Would this be two days up in BB or one? If it's one, you might want to meet at the end of the day, but at the bottom of the mountain; San Bernardino or Victorville. That would allow people who aren't coming up for ALL day to make it without the additional hour of mountain driving each way...

bburge

I think we should have it up at Big Bear. If we had it at one of the group camps up there we could make it a weekend trip for those that want. If someone
can only make it for the day on Sunday that would work out. We could have the meeting on Sunday morning then do a run. There is a group camp
at crab flats which would be closer than going all the way up to Big Bear lake.
Crab flats is along the deep creek trail, out side of arrowbea,half way between arrowhead and big bear lake.
DaveT

Big Bear is good for me. Camping is good for me.

Now as far as April 26/27, not sure about the 26th, that being my birthday I'm not sure if I'll be up to anything, but since it's my birthday weekend [b:85a5ff31f9]I[/b:85a5ff31f9] get to decide what's on the table Sunday!

Sequoia

Chapter Meet and Greet

I won't make the BB meeting on the 27th. I'll be at Shredfest on the 26th but need to be home Sunday.

I have a couple of questions:

1. If an event is a NAXJA event - i.e. local run. What liabilitiy does NAXJA incur?

If we have a local run do we need insurance?

2. Do we need a webpage?

3. If a local chapter is formed, I would suggest the national dues be all required, no local dues on top of the national dues.

4. Do we need the BOD, can we live with just the president

Ray

The BB trip is out for me, I'll be at Fontana for Nascar.

Can something be setup on a chat one night and get things going.

Maybe getting a list of questions going and organizing the answers as to everyones prefences. Then we can start to narrow it down to who wants to do what and what needs to be handled. I'm sure it can be done with a sticky and update it as things progress.

Just some thoughts

mark hinkley

If Big Bear or the SBNF is a good choice for location...

If Big Bear or the SBNF is a good choice for location...

Why not decide on an open weekend that will work without conflict?

The good thing about the SBNF is that it works for summer too.

I was asked a week ago to recommend a group camp with motorhome access? Is this still a criteria?

Back