• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess what?? another renix low rough idle.

AKghandi

NAXJA Forum User
I have read and re read what seems like a thousand other posts with the same issue and I have yet to find a solution.

I have done all cruisers tips that pertain to my 90 xj. I have tried everything.

all grounds and connectors are good. all sensors have been replaced and tested.. all within spec.

my symptoms are 300-500 idle that moves up and down maybe 100-200 rpm. it dances between the two lines under the 1
when it does you can hear a change in the engine sound.

No EGR. all new igniton and fuel components minus injectors and fuel lines. except the two at the tank I replaced those.

it doesn't seem to stumble or run weird while driving has great power and drives good. terrible mileage 4.5" lift and 33"x12.5s around 10 mpg in city.

new manifold gasket and all bolts tight.

don't know if its going into open loop. or closed loop?..still not really sure which is which

doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak, plugged all vac ports and sprayed everywhere no change. new injector O rings and throttle body gasket.

whats strange is that if I hold the rpms up, say around 1500-2000. they will still fluctuate.

just looking for random ideas to try. I can hear what kinda sounds like a vac leak from the throttle body might be the throttle shaft? but wouldn't that just cause a slightly higher idle?

really leaning towards ecm failure

who here actually has a renix that runs right? just for comparison.

Check/ clean the oriface vacuum tube to the valve cover. Make sure your tb is clean and the stop is adjusted right. The stop does not adjust your idle speed. Clean the idle air control valve really good.

Everything that can be cleaned and adjusted has been.

I do have another disty I might throw in and see if it changes anything. I was going to use it to index but it seems I'm already at the right spot.

ECM failure isn't all that common, and it's usually injector drivers.
Will cause a hard fuel miss, or a high RPM cutout.

unplug the knock sensor on the side of the motor. When it fails the ECM thinks you have a knock, and retards the timing significantly. Make sure that wire still has it's foil wrapping. it's very sensitive to ignition noise, this will also fool the ECM into thinking you have a knock.
The temp sensor in the side of the block is the one that controls open/closed loop. test it at a known temperature for proper resistance. It's a GM style sensor if you want to find the map. not likely your issue because it should hold an idle regardless.

knock has been unhooked for a while due to a slight motor noise

new coolant temp sensor

new map, tried both made no difference

I have questionable slop in my tb shaft, it idles ok. I've been keeping a eye for renix's in the jy for one.

I have read and re read what seems like a thousand other posts with the same issue and I have yet to find a solution.

I have done all cruisers tips that pertain to my 90 xj. I have tried everything.

all grounds and connectors are good. all sensors have been replaced and tested.. all within spec.

my symptoms are 300-500 idle that moves up and down maybe 100-200 rpm. it dances between the two lines under the 1
when it does you can hear a change in the engine sound.

No EGR. all new igniton and fuel components minus injectors and fuel lines. except the two at the tank I replaced those.

it doesn't seem to stumble or run weird while driving has great power and drives good. terrible mileage 4.5" lift and 33"x12.5s around 10 mpg in city.

new manifold gasket and all bolts tight.

don't know if its going into open loop. or closed loop?..still not really sure which is which

doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak, plugged all vac ports and sprayed everywhere no change. new injector O rings and throttle body gasket.

whats strange is that if I hold the rpms up, say around 1500-2000. they will still fluctuate.

just looking for random ideas to try. I can hear what kinda sounds like a vac leak from the throttle body might be the throttle shaft? but wouldn't that just cause a slightly higher idle?

really leaning towards ecm failure

who here actually has a renix that runs right? just for comparison.

I have 4 of them here at home that run great.
ECM rarely fails except injector drivers.
Have you tested the O2 sensor? It's relay?

i should mention that the truck had a very small engine fire before i bought the it none of the wires in the harness were burnt but the injectors look a little crispy. not like full terminator melted but they got warm.

i have another renix that runs better. and it looks like it has new injectors.
i may just switch them over for a bit and see what kinda difference it makes.

i replaced the 02 twice, and switched all the relays around. nothing helped.

well i switched the whole fuel rail between the two trucks, my truck doesnt seem to be running any better. will have to drive it tomorrow.

the other truck is a little worse but i also broke the vac line from the mani to the valve cover.

i also reset my trucks ecu. have heard it both ways that they dont save information and then i read the fsm and it says there is a relearn procedure

idle seems even lower, not sure what to think about that.

Indexed the distributor, no change to idle. did seem to pick up some power according to my butt dyno but idle is still the same.

also switched the IAC between the two trucks. idle got lower.. sitting just about the second mark maybe 300 rpm.

turned the idle stop in to get my idle to a decent level, battery was barely charging.

also random thing, sometimes when i start the truck my brake light comes on, sometime it doesn't.. not sure if its related

still wandering idle..

noticed about 15 degrees of movement in the crank pulley before the dist moves.

could chain slop cause this idle issue?

Back