• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Parts?

Randy_66

NAXJA Forum User
Been catching up on the WJ brake swap and came across one post that I now can't find that suggested modifying stock WJ steering components. Anybody done this? I've dug through the search but it kicked my butt.

A friend has an 01 WJ that's motor just died, I have my pick of anything I want. In the course of reading what I DID find in the search I found out about using the WJ steering pump. I'll be going back to scavenge that and the seats as soon as I can get back to his house, a week and a half from now (he's two hours away). I already grabbed the knuckles and brakes. The pads are nearly new so I'll run the Teves stuff for now and switch to the Akebonos at a later date.

What other parts from a WJ are useful? I basically have the run of the thing. Not sure if I'll have time to snag the intake manifold, which should be the good one. I have a 99 and already have one spare so I don't need it.

From what I've read, the stock rod ends have an odd ball metric thread that you can't get tube inserts for and the metric tap (left hand especially) is hard to find if you were inclined to try and tap some tubing.

I bought my steering from Ruffstuff. Very beefy.

Knuckles, brakes, and bolts for brakes are all that I can think of. WJ knuckles accept XJ upper BJ's, but require WJ BJ's.

My XJ stops way better with the knuckle/brake swap, but mine uses the Akebonos. I have a parts list on my build thread "Budget Build"

Last edited:
From what I've read, the stock rod ends have an odd ball metric thread that you can't get tube inserts for and the metric tap (left hand especially) is hard to find if you were inclined to try and tap some tubing.

I bought my steering from Ruffstuff. Very beefy.

Knuckles, brakes, and bolts for brakes are all that I can think of. One of the balljoints (I think the lower) is the same as an XJ, but the upper is different, so either get the bj if it's good, but make sure you use the right one in tbe xj.

My XJ stops way better with the knuckle/brake swap, but mine uses the Akebonos. I have a parts list on my build thread "Budget Build"

The Teves are still a huge improvement but the Akebonos are definitely the long term goal. If I similarly fall into the stuff I might do it but there's still a lot of other things screaming for money.

Upper BJ is same as XJ, lower is the WJ one to use. This one has over 100K, I'll go new.

It's sounding like I just need to decide if I want to do the goferit thing for high steer or not. I wish I could find the writeup JKS used to have on their site. I have considered using their ready to go parts, but the fab stuff is cheaper. Getting the fab work done is a bit of a pain if I go DOM fabbed route.

Back