• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire size with 4.5 lift

ponishenko3136

NAXJA Forum User
hi everyone, I'm new here. i sold my first xj a while ago and just recently got another one. it's 2000. i am planning on buying a 4.5" rough country lift with leaf springs. and i will be trimming the fenders for aftermarket flares. can i run 33" tires with that lift and a little fender trim without too much trouble? thanks

I have 33s on my MJ with 0" of lift.. And have fit 32s on an XJ with no lift... This is truely the most commonly run combo on an xj ( the 4.5" lift/33s not 0 lol)

Here's mine on 4.5" of lift and 32"s. You should be able to fit 33"s no problem.
fd5fd1a01dff11b1331b9749c4930a54.jpg

I would go 4.5 and 32's until you re gear your axles, then go 33 or 35's. Atleast with 4.5 inches of lift you have a few options.

I would go 4.5 and 32's until you re gear your axles, then go 33 or 35's. Atleast with 4.5 inches of lift you have a few options.

This was my first combination and it worked great. I used the Rough Country 4.5" kit with new rear leaf springs (not the add-a-leafs). I added a JKS track bar and the Currie steering to beef up the remaining parts that RC doesn't supply.

I ran 32" tires for a long time. When I upgraded to 33's I went with 33/1050R15 BFG KM2's. I had to do some mild trimming to made everything clear the way I liked.

Good luck with you build. And post pictures....we like pictures!

I have a 4 1/2 inch lift-Rubicon Express coils in the front and rough country springs in the rear on my 97. I'm running 33 x 10.50 BFGoodrich KM2's on the factory wheel. I have decent Clarence and flex right now, I'm going to upgrade to Rustys steel fenders which are essentially a 3 inch cut out flare.

Overall lift came to 5 inches friend and 5 inches rear, but I have a Smitty built XRC bumper w- 9500 lb winch in the front. That weighs 200 pounds.

thanks again everyone. ill post pics once i start working on it. i hope to get at least the lift and some tires done just in case we get a harsh winter here in nw arkansas.

I didn't want to make a new thread but I have a similar question. I have a RCE 5" with replacement leafs. Currently turning 33's with 4:10 gears and no issues with rub/flex/power. How much trimming/cutting will I have to do to be able to stuff 35's?

I'm sure you'll get an answer to that here soon. but i also have another question, i've been told that if i go with 4.5 ill have to change a lot more things, like getting a new front drive shaft, lowering the transfer case, changing the control arms and stuff like that. is that completely necessary? or just better to do than to leave everything as is? thanks again

I didn't want to make a new thread but I have a similar question. I have a RCE 5" with replacement leafs. Currently turning 33's with 4:10 gears and no issues with rub/flex/power. How much trimming/cutting will I have to do to be able to stuff 35's?

A lot.. depending on tire since none are really a true "35" but I had to eliminate the pinch seam in the rear. Cut into the bottom edge of the QP. Front still rubs the inside of the wheel well and the front of it. I'm going to cut/pound in some metal up front and push it forward 1/2"-1". These are MTR Ks

Back