• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lsd or locker

chopperz

NAXJA Forum User
putting 44s and gears in the front and rear and cant decide on lsd rear and locked front or both front and rear locked ect. was thinking Detroit auto lockers for both but idk. it is a dd right now. any suggestions or comments from the experience would be great. thanks guys

90% of 4 wheeling is prob on trails or fields ect so prop lock front. just don't know on rear!! a lot of in town driving!!!

When driven on pavement, in the rear axle, a LSD behaves about the same as a locker, summer and winter. Of course, a locker has better traction than a LSD. When driven on pavement in winter snowy/icy conditions, in 4x4, a locker in the front tends to push instead of turn, an LSD doesn't.

If you do daily driving that includes winter snow/ice, lock the rear, and if the budget allows LSD in front.

Of course, a locker has better traction than a LSD. When driven on pavement in winter snowy/icy conditions, in 4x4, a locker in the front tends to push instead of turn, an LSD doesn't.

If you do daily driving that includes winter snow/ice, lock the rear, and if the budget allows LSD in front.

I would look into selectable locker(s). Just as the front can push instead of turn the rear can drift left and right when engaged on snow and ice. An open diff will keep one tire "planted" assisting with the prevention/reduction of lateral movement. Many will say that you can get used to the handling characteristics of a locked/spooled diff in winter conditions; and to varying degrees this is true. Tire chains will have an effect on these disadvantages/advantages as well.

IMO it is better to be able to do one axle just the way you want it and then focus on the second at a later date than to end up with compromises in both. Parts are expensive enough without redundant spending.

I have Detroit front and grizzley rear (both full case). They are stronger and less problems then a lsd would be, and they are locked when need and the lsd will allways give a little(not always ideal). The bottom line is if you want to build the rig and wheel it you will find you're going to need lockers. My advice would be to put lockers in the axles and then pick up a cheap car to dd. Driving around on something that's not exactly road friend, not that great on gas, and has expensive tires is less than ideal.

I daily drove with front and rear No-Slips for years and later changed the rear to a Detroit. While it was liveable on a daily basis, I wouldn't do it again.

Front and rear selectables are ideal. But I would do a lunchbox in the front and an ARB in the rear.

Back