• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Door Lock Linkage, 89XJ 2 Door.

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Hoping that someone can help with this: I need to replace my driver side door lock cylinder (89 XJ LTD with power door locks) because some dick used a BF screwdriver to break the lock (and bent the door). I have the door bent back into shape and I have a new lock cylinder coming tomorrow.

Edit: I should have mentioned: the power lock for the driver's door would not work with the broken lock cylinder. Even the door lock 'lever' (or button or ???) by the door handle was very stiff and took a lot of effort to lock/unlock the door - something defiantly out of alignment.

The question I have is about the short linkage that connects the door lock cylinder to the locking mechanism. The linkage has two 90 degree bent ends, one bent end rotated from the other bent end by 90 degrees (at least I think they're supposed to be 90 degrees, mine isn't). There is also a bend in the middle of the link of about 30 degrees (which is why the ends are not quite 90 deg perpendicular to each other and the axis' of the bent ends as are not parallel). I'm not clear if the linkage is supposed to be bent like that or if it was bent during the break in. When I look at the parts fiche the link doesn't look bent in the middle but I'm not 100% certain I'm looking at the correct link. Can anyone provide some advice or post a picture of what that link should look like? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the linkage. Notice the bend in the middle of the linkage - is that supposed to be there?
IMG_1362_zpsidjjfhx0.jpg

IMG_1361_zps2sjaqkms.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I put it back together with the linkage as shown and it seems to work so I guess everything is OK.

Just a tip for anyone that has to do this: the easiest way to get the lock cylinder in and out of the door is to unclip the above linkage at the lower end and pull/inset the lock cylinder and linkage out though the lock hole in the door. I thought that it was going to be a real problem to get the lower linkage clipped back in but it fact it was trivial.

Back