• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brake issue

BossCherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
So I completely dissassembled an xj dana 44 to clean and paint before swapping it in I also installed all brand new brake hardware. Well I got It swapped in now but the problem is the left drum was getting really hot and dragging so last night I adjust both sides the right was doing nothing and the left was dragging. Well I tried to drive it again today and its done the same thing again is it possible I mix up the brake hardware causing it to auto adjust all the way out btw sorry for the crappy grammer its like midnight and I'm exhausted

X2 on a pic. Other than, shoes on correctly? As in smaller one towards the front. I always grab the adjuster cable to actuate the lever and verify it will spin the adjuster. 98% of the time they need a little tweaking to work correctly, even new hardware.

X3 for pics. Additionally, check and make sure the ebrake line is routed and set properly. Im assuming you bled the lines? And the proper way to "adjust" is this:

With tires off the ground
Give the tire a strong spin
Tire should spin ONE rotation before the drum stops the tire.
If not, make it tighter/looser via the star wheel

Back