• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Essential mod suggestions

aaronb

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 2000 XJ. I'm gonna modify the heck out of it eventually. I used to own a TJ and I know a lot about those, but I'm new to owning XJs and don't know a lot about them.

I guess what I'm looking for is maybe a short list of the most notorious weaknesses, areas to beef up and so on.

I want at least 33s on it, I'll lock it, I'll build a lot of armor, trim a lot of stuff, relocate a lot of stuff, etc.

I've got tools; mig welder, tube bender, drill press, CNC plasma cutter, lathe, presses, breaks and decent shop. I can make whatever I want.

I just want to know stuff like "the unibody is gonna be weak here, your gonna want armor there, these things always break so you're gonna want this here". Just some bigger-picture things someone new to XJs wouldn't readily know.

Thanks for any help.

As far as I understand the 2000 model may have a low pinion Dana 30 front axle. You will want to change that to a slightly earlier high-pinion model. You can upgrade the knuckles to some with a high-steer arm WJ parts and get some better brakes and beefier tie rods. I, like you do some fabricating and started with lots of cutting, welding and fab work and sort of wish I would have done fewer mods and spent more time on the trails. Beef up the unibody, get skids and make some sturdy bumpers and see where that takes you with lockers lift and tires. Just my $.02. Good luck!

I've got an 01 on 6 inches on 32s. I've done bumpers and skids and locked the front and done a SYE.

For you I'd suggest an 8.8 rear, lower gears, locker, skids, and some trimming. Only things I really want to do yet is a rear locker, WJ brakes on the front, and Mustang calipers on the rear. Frame stiffeners would be nice, but not imperative yet for my style of driving. These things are pretty capable without a lot of building.

If there's an open checkbook type of build go with a three link long arm kit, do an hp30/8.8 combo or even a waggy 44/8.8 combo, you can go with 5.13's and 35's, with the added weight you'll love the deeper gears. Do full unibody stiffeners(most important). Bumpers or spots to pull from.

I agree with spending more time on the trails. For me the basics would include skid plates, rocker protection, steering box brace and a slip yoke eliminator. Take your time and look at a lot of other rigs to avoid redundant spending. Parts are expensive enough. You can have a lot of fun with open diffs and 31 inch tires.

When it comes to lockers I chose to go with selectable front and rear. Lockers are not always your friend, for instance, side hill in the snow. Another advantage is that my Rig isn't too over built for some of the trails that I can access close to home. I can spend a half day or full day struggling to get through trails and have a heck of a lot of fun instead of just crawling over the top of everything.

My list:

Hood pins and struts.
Rigid exhaust mounts with vbands.
Removal/optimization of non essential/wanted sub systems (a/c, carpets, etc)
AUX/offroad lights.

Last but not least, Bishop Bhuell/russ p. 4.7L stroker motor with supporting mods.

Back