• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 Link Bracket Question

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

I have finally got a full time job after college and a WJ for DD duty and am looking to finally upgrade my front suspension on my 92 XJ 4.0/AX15/231/ D30/8.25 w/4.56 gears. I have had a RE 3.5 short arm lift since high school and want to scrap it and get some better ride characteristics and some real joints on the jeep.

I would be fine getting a front suspension that a manufacturer makes but I am going to keep the ride height at 3.5" and I took the time to make a belly pan/crossmember. I plan on buying hd offroad engineering 3 link bracketry then heims at the frame and poly bushings at the axle for the lower links and heims at both ends on the upper link since this jeep will be getting to the trail on the highway. (I have an artec truss welded on the d30 so I have the capability to get a real upper link mount)

My main question is if anyone has just used the lower stock brackets at the axle end? Or will the angle from the frame mount to the axle mount be too inboard for poly bushings to fit right? I have the fab skill and patience to do it but just want to plan ahead and start some scheming/design before I start buying parts.

Also any other 3 link advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time fabbing up a custom suspension.

TIA

Nick

I have the poly performance brackets on my rig (pure beef) and originally I did ruff stuff hiems on both ends of the control arms, but after a week they start to clunk and rattle so I swapped them out for Johnny joints and my rig has been great ever since.

I'm also running a D30 with an artec truss and for the upper control arm mount on the passenger side we just welded on a simple control arm mount. If you want I can take a picture later today.

@sidewaysstarion

That would be great if you could throw in a picture of the mounts and whatever else you think is relevant. I will be running 35s on 3.5" of lift so things are going to be packed in there with the truss and upper arm mount.

Back