• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock fog lights on with no key?

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I had my fog lights (2000 4.0L) working with no key in the ignition. I didn't think they worked this way; it should be an ignition hot circuit correct?
I can turn on the headlights (no key in ignition), flick the fog lights switch, and they work just like the Jeep was running. Even cut off when I flash the high beams.
Right when I left work, I cranked the Jeep and pulled the headlights switch to just parking lights, and hit the fog lights switch. There was a blip just then, like the engine stopped for a split second and continued on. Could this be related? Did my relay short out?

Since almost 60 viewers have not had any ideas, I hijacked a fellow's Jeep to test...

NO, they are NOT supposed to work with the ignition off. His is stock and did not come on without the key in the "on" position.

Now then, let's see if anyone can help locating the culprit. Relay tested okay - where would be the best place to look for a possible short?

Back