• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which aw4 cable is broken? Help.

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
So while pulling the interior apart to bedline the xj I broke a cable connector. This is the short cable that goes from the shifter assembly into the steering column. I don't see a way to fix the connector but am not sure where in the column it goes? How easy/hard is this to change out and does anyone have a spare laying around?
*edit*
Looking at it a little closer...can the assembly come apart so I can change just the lower half?? There seems to be some big connection thingy before it goes the last 6-8inches to the key cylinder area?*

Last edited:
So while pulling the interior apart to bedline the xj I broke a cable connector. This is the short cable that goes from the shifter assembly into the steering column. I don't see a way to fix the connector but am not sure where in the column it goes? How easy/hard is this to change out and does anyone have a spare laying around?
*edit*
Looking at it a little closer...can the assembly come apart so I can change just the lower half?? There seems to be some big connection thingy before it goes the last 6-8inches to the key cylinder area?*
8582279d36b80945999515fa16b1475b.jpg

506a2ca1b769a2c84e02a513cee0d98d.jpg

My guess is that is the shift interlock cable, which requires you to depress the brake pedal before shifting out of park. I disco'd mine a long time ago.
Connect the other cable back up and confirm it shifts through gears.

Unless you REALLY want to fix it, leave it disco'd and forget about it.

I assume you have a 97+ in which case it shouldn't need to remove the steering wheel, but you I can't imagine it would be a fun job to change. The interlock cable also prevents you from turning the ignition all the way off when the shifter isn't in park. But mine's been disconnected for a few years now without issue.

Awesome, thanks guys. Wonder if I should just snip it off in the shifter end...Probably wont. Just stuck it back through and it doesn't seem to be in the way. *shrugs *

So while I have some of you smart folks...
I found this wiring plug looks bad and one of the wires was already broken. Any idea what it goes to?
3 wires in from the dash side:
Yellow. Black (or other dark color) with lt blue tracer. And the third is sold dark...maybe black, no tracer?
Female end that runs toward the rear along the passenger side is 2 wires.
Yellow (no longer attached) and the dark with no tracer.
52f2098696831d52c1389a9f11c86e72.jpg

Back