• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock front driveshaft in rear with 2 inch lift

ljones

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered the hack and tap sye kit from Iron rock off road that's made to use with a stock front driveshaft. My jeep is a 2000 Cherokee with the 4.0 aw4 np242 and 8.25 rear. Will a front driveshaft work fine with a 2 inch lift and this setup?

Yes. As with any lift make sure you shim the rear axle so the driveline angles are where they need to be.

Not sure it will work with a 2" lift as I have a 3.5 and it would of been tight with it being that hi on my xj.

I am at about 2.5" lift with 231 and 8.25 rear. I have a sye (not hack and tap) and a front driveshaft is perfect length. fwiw..

I have 4.5" (+) lift with a hack and tap on my 242 with an 8.25 rear. A front driveshaft from an AW4 works alright but its a little stretched, and will vibe if the slip joint is sloppy. For your 2" lift you should be fine, just make sure the driveshaft you buy isn't sloppy.

I have 4.5" (+) lift with a hack and tap on my 242 with an 8.25 rear. A front driveshaft from an AW4 works alright but its a little stretched, and will vibe if the slip joint is sloppy. For your 2" lift you should be fine, just make sure the driveshaft you buy isn't sloppy.

How much play should it have?

Just to be clear, length should be no issue

As for slop, its hard to tell on the bench, you can put the long half in a vice and try to wiggle the short half, if there's any rattling in the joint its bad. After its mounted, grab the slip joint with your hand and see if you can wiggle the joint itself, any movement in the shaft and its bad.

ps--here's a pic of mine, you can see its stretched out pretty far, yours should be somewhat less so

Pinion_Post_Shim.sized.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: the information below peobably does not relate to your posting :/ sorry about that

Ughhh the SYE from IRO sucks butt to align properly. When I installed mine it wouldnt shift into 2wd, had to take off the back sye cover and re align the shift rod with the hole in the back, and right now it has about .5mm of clearance...crapy machining and design. Other than that it has run flawlessly!! And i wheel every weekend in the summer for the entire weekend. I am on a 5.5in lift running a stock front driveshaft in the rear.

Back