• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Captured nut replacement 101......

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
When I went to replace the leaf spring bushings on my 96, I found the shackles were shot. Decided I had to replace them, and that's where it got fun.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1123285

So, fearing I had too little of the 'nut hump' left that was solid, and not wanting to really use the shackle relocation kits at this time (still deciding on the lift kit I am going to go with), I decided on a different route.

Basically, I made some replacement plates that will fit over the nut hump area, and had some 5/8 thick steel chunks, so I made new nuts from those.

Here's what I started with....yes, it ain't pretty, but I was trying to freehand with the plasma in an area I had a hard time reaching due to the way the jeep was supported.

And I ain't no good picture taker, so they are slightly blurred, but I think ya get the idea.

Drivers side

Passengers side

After the measuring & test fitting (found out the nut hump is not vertical....it has a 1.5 deg lean in at the top), here's what I got now
These slide up into the 'box' and will be welded in place with the square chunk towards the shackles & the angled edges up, and the old nut inside the frame
The square chunk is welded at a 1.5 deg angle in relation to the plate, and this gives me ~ .030" clearance when the shackle is installed.

Still need to dress them up & make them pretty, as these were taken right after welding them up, but I will update this once they are welded in place on the jeep..................

Right now, I am not sure if I will be able to weld the top edge in, or if I will have to do rosette welds.....not much room for the mig gun in that box

Last edited:
Well, they are in now,and seem to be working fine.

The back side weld looks like crap cuz I couldn't get the gun in close enough...and since I couldn't get to the top edge, I drilled a 1/2" hole just above & forward of the top corner of the 5/8" plate and did a rosette weld.

May not be as pretty as some, but I don't think it is coming out.

Thanks...ha...like your location....I been saying that since I got to VA in '86.

I did use a liberal coating of anti-sieze on all the bolts & inside the sleeves in the bushings so hopefully I won't have the same issues next time I have to take the springs & shackles out.

The front eye bolt nut is still stock, so we'll see.

In hindsight tho, I think I should have put the 'chunk' forward in the pocket instead of to the back like stock....would have also served as a shackle angle fix as well as the needed repairs.

Last edited:
In hindsight tho, I think I should have put the 'chunk' forward in the pocket instead of to the back like stock....would have also served as a shackle angle fix as well as the needed repairs.

x2. I'm getting ready to tackle this dreaded area as well. A buddy of mine did this on his 87 and it worked great. Moved forward a bit and put the shackle at nearly a 45* angle and it was like night and day. Looks good though, nice work.

Back