• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Ball Joint and Track Bar recommendations

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Yep, thats it. I have done a lot of searching and have not come up with any definitive answers. Help needed. Totally stock 1991 XJ 4.0 5speed.

I was going to go with moog ball joints, but some reviews on amazon had people saying that part of them sticks out too far. Then was thinking the alloyUSA ones but read some bad reviews about them. Same with spicer. synergy makes some, crown..

Does anyone have a good recommendation on replacements for my 100% stock 1991xj. cost definitely a factor but really looking for that sweet spot, good quality but not going overboard.

Same with trac-bar. Looks ok but some play. Should I replace it or just the bushings. Which bushings, or which trac-bar? Again, stock. No plans to lift but want a really capable stock xj.

Sorry if this topic is a dead horse..
but haven't gotten a definitive answer in hours of searching.

thx y'all-

Moog or Spicer parts. If you are worried about fit, buy local so you can return/exchange them the same day. Most reviews on Amazon are from Morons. If they are talking about the zerk fittings, then yes they will hit, you grease the lower joints, and then remove the zerk for a Cherokee Dana 30.

Last edited:
Go with Spicer ball joints. They are factory. I don't know what these bad reviews are, can you share? I've had MOOG's go bad with low miles. MOOG is not what it used to be.

Track bar for stock, anyone's guess. MOOG does have a lifetime warranty. :) But I'd be tempted by one from NAPA. The NAPA Chassis line I think is the same as Raybestos but with a lifetime warranty.

Bushings or stock control arms? You want rubber that is marked Clevite. You can't buy a "Clevite" bushing but O'Reilly's Master Pro & MOOG are usually/often Clevite. For the axle side bushings O'Reilly's are definitely Clevite and cheaper than the MOOG's.

Go with Spicer ball joints. They are factory. I don't know what these bad reviews are, can you share? I've had MOOG's go bad with low miles. MOOG is not what it used to be. Track bar for stock, anyone's guess. MOOG does have a lifetime warranty. :) But I'd be tempted by one from NAPA. The NAPA Chassis line I think is the same as Raybestos but with a lifetime warranty. Bushings or stock control arms? You want rubber that is marked Clevite. You can't buy a "Clevite" bushing but O'Reilly's Master Pro & MOOG are usually/often Clevite. For the axle side bushings O'Reilly's are definitely Clevite and cheaper than the MOOG's.

^^^^^^^^what he said. Definitely Spicer for ball joints.

Spicer ball joints. Rubicon or jks double shear trackbar and mount

Spicer ball joints. We tried all the fancy high dollar stuff (including Synergy) in the racer and they didn't last any longer than Spicer. I just put Spicer's in my DD, and I have Spicer's set up and ready to go into my SJ.

For trac bar, I'll second the NAPA suggestion. A good cheap upgrade is to replace the rubber bushing on the axle end with a urethane replacement from Prothane.

Back