• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Siping MT's. Good or bad?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't find any serious discussion on the subject of siping MT's. Given I've got a set of very aggressively siped KM2's, but there's not a lot of tread left, it about time for new shoes and the question of siping comes up.

In my experience, siping adds a tremendous amount of traction on wet pavement/rocks, but has really no affect in mud (which makes sense). I really don't feel there is any argument about this, but what I can't find any agreement on is tread life. Does siping increase, decrease, or have no affect on it?
Increased tread longevity makes intuitive sense for wet street conditions, as traction is increased, thus slippage is decreased. On dry pavement or any rocks though, I'm really not sure. On dry, I suspect that siping has a dramatic negative affect on tread life. On the rocks, probably the same simply because each lug is not split into smaller, weaker sections and are more prone to ripping off.
I've definitely seen the rock issue with my siped KM2's. As soon as I started hitting the rocks with them, rubber just started flying off. I went from 75% to around 25% tread in a season of hard wheeling (generally every weekend).

That said, any "internet experts" wanna chime in on this? Ultimately I'm sorta less concerned about street traction for my rig, as it's ridiculously heavy, on locked 35's so I can't imagine noticing any big performance increase in all but the most extreme torque situations. On the trail however, I definitely feel like the sipes help on wet rock (as evidenced by my rig flying past very similarly built rigs with the same, but non-siped shoes). On dry, I really have no idea. I can't decide if tread life really matters to me given how ridiculously well they grab (siped).

Like you mentioned, my concern would be tearing lugs. No personal experience, but I have been seriously thinking about this on my next set of BFG's

you wont see any expediated tire wear on the street with siping, but chunking is deffinantly an issue in sharp rocks. if you need the siping for winter conditions, best practice is just to sipe the center of the tire and leave the outer lugs alone.

ive seen it done, and did make a noticeable difference in winter conditions.

That's sorta my thoughts as well. PO of my shoes siped the hell outta the km2's. I think he overdid it, but damn it's got wet traction. Recently did a trail that eats just about everyone's rigs and most guys with 6-8" lift on 35's need to winch through the easy sections. I took the hard lines all the way through with very little difficulty. But yea, chunking. Like very little meat left in a season. It's hard to justify another $1500 for a season of rubber, even if it works ridiculously well.

I may try as VahasnoWAVEs said, and just sipe the center.

I've siped all my tires on my more DD rigs. Typical do just the center sections. For wheeling I have grooved tires, but don't usually sipe them. For the mentioned reasons.

Back