• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-99 4.0 Coil ground question...

remove coil from block, lay it on a neoprene mousepad or some other insulator, and see if engine will start without the coil being grounded on the block

I have an MSD SS coil on it right now. Just asking because I might swap to an OEM style Accel and ditch the digi 6 box. It'd be nice for me to remote mount it without it requiring the ground

May I ask what you're trying to achieve with remote mount?

I welded nuts to the inside of the bracket and then mounted the coil to the outside, lets me do it without having to hold the nuts, and keeps the coil cooler by pulling it away from the block

No, the coil doesn't ground through the block. You can unbolt it and having it hanging by the wires and the jeep will still run.

Thanks man! appreciate it. :thumbup:

May I ask what you're trying to achieve with remote mount?

I welded nuts to the inside of the bracket and then mounted the coil to the outside, lets me do it without having to hold the nuts, and keeps the coil cooler by pulling it away from the block

Simply just to reduce vibration and heat transfer. In general I personally just prefer chassis mounting a coil. Cracks after all are a common killer

I'm not sure what a 97 coil pack looks like (mine's a 96),
but many coil packs are grounded to dissipate the magnetic
field that's generated when the coil fires. If you experience
a rough running engine with a remote mounted coil, run
a jumper ground wire to the coil and see if that helps...

Back