• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap the need to know?

podm98c

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm preparing to do a 8.8 swap this weekend I got everything that I need. At least I think so, we all know how that goes. Anyways I'm build custom u bolt eliminators for the things. What I'm wondering is who has done one and what should I look out for when I do the swap?

What exactly is a "custom u-bolt eliminator" and why would you want to eliminate them?

Well u bolts are expensive for one plus it should help with axle wrap.I'm using a a couple pieces of 5x5x1/4 box tubing to make mine.I'll post a few pictures of it done for everyone.

Get the right DS flange. Ebrake cables. Shock mounts , perches. Dial in pinion angle and burn it in. . There are plenty of threads and writeups on it.

DS flange. 1310 to 8.8 yoke flange

Brake lines are gonna be an issue. I used the explorer splitter block mounted on one of the u-bolt ends, and ran new hard line to it and from it. There are other ways, but this will be one if the more time consuming aspects.
I used the XJ e-brake cables clamped to the explorer ends that came with the axle; has held for 2 years and counting.

If you have an earlier model XJ with equal length park brake cables, ZJ cables left and right will work just fine.
Even if you have a later model where the bracket is on the driver framerail, The ZJ cable will work for driver side, and a KJ passenger cable for the passenger, of course. Haha.
Maybe 10-15$ each at your local parts store.

I used pass side brake hose for Dr side, my xj brake hose and re flared existing line to pass side and used some 3/16 brake line for the Dr side. Was super easy to do. I also just got a 1310 to 1330 u joint at the parts store for about 15 bucks (precision 353). I think ecgs also has a complete brake line setup for the 8.8 conversion if you want to go that route.

Back