• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any upgrades out there to make the ax15 stronger, gonna be swapping in a 5.3. I'm not hard on the trans (no power shifts or clutch dumps). Just wondering if three anything I can do to make it stronger when I rebuild it

I'd be interested in what you find out about this I don't know of any upgrades. Would the late model 3500 series transmissions be stronger?

With added power, the third gear syncros really dont like being shifted fast... consider it your money gear. Feels so good, but mine lasted a year being driven like a cockhead.

Something about the jeep clutch being slow acting.

Conventional wisdom seems to hold that the AX-15 and NV3500/NV3550 can both handle about 300 ft/lbs of input torque. With that being said, apparently the AX-15 and Toyota R150/R154 transmissions are very similar. Turbocharged Toyota Supras were among the things that used those transmissions, so take that as you see fit. Buuuuuut... the NV3500/3550 was used behind small block Chevys, and I believe there's also a "Heavy Duty" version that was used in the light duty Ram 2500's. You could look into one of these- http://www.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/terminator%E2%84%A2.aspx but to me it just sounds like a rebuilt AX-15 with a few minor internal modifications.

that's a rebuild with some "R" series toyota parts in it most likely. Toyota made some upgrades in 96 to different helix angles and the like. I never did find out of the AX-15 got those upgrades, but they should slip into the AX case. Try contacting Marlin Crawler. He's the guy for the toyota boxes and could tell you what the best parts to rebuild with are.

definitely 3rd gear is the weak link. That's what fails, unless you're a full on moron, then you can strip the 1st gear cluster.

I'd slap it behind there, fill it with MT-90 and roll on, conscious that the transmission is the weak link.

With added power, the third gear syncros really dont like being shifted fast... consider it your money gear. Feels so good, but mine lasted a year being driven like a cockhead.

Something about the jeep clutch being slow acting.
Its 99% crawler so basically no power shifting, if I do any high speed stuff I'll just be mindfull

that's a rebuild with some "R" series toyota parts in it most likely. Toyota made some upgrades in 96 to different helix angles and the like. I never did find out of the AX-15 got those upgrades, but they should slip into the AX case. Try contacting Marlin Crawler. He's the guy for the toyota boxes and could tell you what the best parts to rebuild with are.

definitely 3rd gear is the weak link. That's what fails, unless you're a full on moron, then you can strip the 1st gear cluster.

I'd slap it behind there, fill it with MT-90 and roll on, conscious that the transmission is the weak link.
I'll just have to be mindfull, it does have gearing behind it with 4.3 Atlas and 5.38's in the axles. In a perfect world the 1310's and stock slip joints wold be the weak link although I have broken a D60 ujoint

Back