• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to replace rockers with 2x6 steel, worried about rust

tommyconner96

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I am new here although I have browsed the site a little bit and found some answers to my various questions and problems over the past year that I've owned my 98 cherokee.

Anyway, I want to replace my rockers with box steel. I already have enogh 2 x 6 x 1/4" box steel to do the job but I don't have any welding experience. How difficult is it for a newbie? I might try and find a shop to do it if it isn't going to be too expensive. I was thinking of doing this mod: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?105565-Extrem-XJ-Rocker-replacement but I am worried about all the rust. I am not sure my jeep could support the rockers. I want to make it more durable not compromise it.

I also want to trim the fenders and cut and fold them. all my fender flairs are missing and there is a lot of rust where they used to be, see the second picture for the worst part.

That is pretty rusty! If you plan on keeping this jeep for long, you probably should learn to weld. I did the jeepkings rockers on my previous jeep, but using 3/16 2x4 and it worked well. Years ago, my dad and I did rockers on my brother's jeep using 3x4 box steel. Many 1/4 inch bolts were drilled through the door sills into holes threaded into the 3x4. This lasted as long as the rest of the jeep, but I don't think it was as rusty as yours.

That is pretty rusty! If you plan on keeping this jeep for long, you probably should learn to weld. I did the jeepkings rockers on my previous jeep, but using 3/16 2x4 and it worked well. Years ago, my dad and I did rockers on my brother's jeep using 3x4 box steel. Many 1/4 inch bolts were drilled through the door sills into holes threaded into the 3x4. This lasted as long as the rest of the jeep, but I don't think it was as rusty as yours.

I was considering maybe doing a combination of the JeepKings one with some other one, and tying it in to the frame. I just really don't want to mess it up. the seam under the door where they say to weld in the flatbar is very very rusty on mine.
I really want to keep it running strong as long as possible. it hasn't given me any major problems besides all the rust and a fuel pump which I just replaced.

Back