• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Speedo, old Jeep

RynoMJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i have an NV241or swapped into my MJ and obviously that has an electronic speedometer. My 89 was the cable version. I'm wondering what my options are, if any, to get a working speedometer in the cluster.
Would swapping in a newer cluster work or does the electronic sensor communicate with the engine computer so that this wouldn't work?
Thanks for the help.

Time for some Autometer gauges buddy.

A non renix cluster will not work with a renix system.

Last renix to HO swap I did involved swapping the entire wiring harness/cluster/column etc....waaaay to much work and I would never do it again lol.

Lots of good electronic speedo options out there in the aftermarket. Autometer,VDO,Classic Instruments,Dolphin. Summit sells a digital dash panel under their own brand thats pretty cool. Works with most sensors.

This guy nailed it...looks great IMO

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027402

Thanks for the info! One more question is it possible to put an auto meter gauge in the cluster or I'm looking at making a whole new cluster.
Thanks

It'll be a wash getting this or making some type of bezel. If the stock speedo works, get the Dakota system. No muss no fuss.

If you don't mind a little mod, I'm sure an Autometer speedo would work.
Other than the fuel gauge reading backwards, in theory installing an HO cluster everything else besides speedo works. If you are into electrical at all, might not be very hard to custom wire the stock speedo to run with the 241 VSS. Otherwise, the dakota digital adapter seems to be the best bet.

Back