• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Hanger By Axle?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
I almost bought Walker 36412 ... but apparently that's the one for the trans crossmember.

The hanger that goes to the rear "crossmember" ripped off the exhaust pipe. NOT the one that goes to the rear frame behind the axle.

It is almost right above the axle, a bit forward. Anyone know what this is?

My exahust is coming apart again). I only have the hanger at the trans crossmember supporting it. I , apparently, have a hole in the frame where the rearmost hanger was.

I am going to guess from your username that you have an '88. I don't know how well this will apply to a Renix era. I think these parts are likely the same, but I haven't tried comparing Renix to HO in this regard. At any rate, these are the parts I needed in order to re-create the exhaust system in my '96:

Top hanger is the rear-most. Lower hanger is the one for right above the axle.

XJExhaustReDo12OPT.jpg

Same pieces, but from another angle:

XJExhaustReDo13OPT.jpg

Details on the rear most hanger bracket (That will have to be one heck of a hole in your frame if this bracket/plate will not work):

XJExhaustReDo15OPT.jpg

These were the parts I was able to find new (Morris 4x4, Summit):

XJExhaustReDo16OPT.jpg

The rubber components could at least be had new. The rest I went with junkyard parts.

I hope that helps so you at least know what you are looking for. The P.O. of my '96 had ditched all the factory parts and did a botch job instead. It is fun figuring out what you need when you don't know what was there in the first place.

I have a 2000. Thankfully no Renix for me.

I need the lower item in your first picture. How did you make one? It broke the weld off of the exhaust pipe and I lost the part that goes into the rubber part. Rubber part is still in tact.

The rearmost exhaust hanger has the front bolt part of the frame missing. So it just bends and the exhaust falls off.

I pulled those parts out of the junkyard. Cordless sawzall. Then some work at home to remove that bit of tubing that you see in the pic. Cut-off wheel and a grinder for that.

Alternatively I think an exhaust shop could bend one up for you.

As to the rear most hanger, I am not sure, but I suspect that if you were to use a nut-strip you could still get that bracket mounted. I haven't had to get into those frame rails yet so I don't know if the standard/factory nut strips for a hitch would reach that bolt or not, but I expect one could be fabricated.

My 01 had a similar problem. I put thick steel wire around it a few times till I could fab something up. But the wire has been there for 2 months and a few wheeling trips and held up like a champ. But they sell universal hangers at auto parts stores I just discovered

Back