• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

200 XJ No Start

Dekamdylan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, my '00 XJ, 4.0 I6, AW4, refuses to start after an engine transplant, with a known to be good and running engine, has had the batt. replaced, wires checked, 5v reference to sensors, power to CPS(CKP), has a new sensor, signal back out, gauges do not work, gets a NO BUS reading on the cluster, does not have spark, has a new cam position sensor, have tried 2 different PCM's from 2 other 2000 XJ's of same model and engine, has good fuel pressure, not sure about injector pulse, cannot communicate with computer with code scanner.

Ok guys, next thing for me to try is grounds, any other suggestions?:badpc:

also soldered the cam pick up sensor wire, one of them was frayed apart, stripped, then twisted together in classic hillbilly fashion, will check continuity tomorrow night with my multimeter.

You need to diagnose your bus fault first. Check power and grounds to computer. I always use a test light to load the circuit. If ok, check for 5v reference at sensors. If no 5v disconnect all sensor on 5v and see if it returns. You already swapped pcms so I doubt your computer is bad. You may have to disconnect other modules on the bus incase they're bringing the network down. Also verify12v to pin 16 of dlc

Okay I read to check fuse f 17 which also controls the headlights in the head lights do not work the marker lights work in the fuse test so good all fuses test out good but lights do not work

I may know what it is on the old engine the o2 sensors were downstream past the catalytic converters in the xhaust pipe, the new engine came with an exhaust manifold with the o2 sensors right up near the block but i used the old exhaust manifold that has those bungs plugged and the harness to those two o2 sensors near the blocks are still on the engine just not plugged in, but the downstream 02 sensors are connected, could that be the problem

You have a short somewhere.
Print out the wiring diagrams and keep going through the BUS circuit.
There's something grounding where it shouldn't be or something not connected properly.

Start with your BUS circuit and work from there. It may take time, but thats the right way.

Bus is the data communication wires between various modules. Dlc is the data link, what you plug your scanner into. Reread my other post. If you dont at a minimum check those, you're making no progress.

if you've got a no bus and no communications to the PCM, it's probably faulting and shutting itself down.

My first step with no bus is to start unplugging engine management sensors. EVERYTHING plugged in under the hood is suspect. Last time I had one it was the oil pressure sender. Shut the junk off like I turned the key.

Back