• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello NAXJA, first time jeep, getting her back to safe Daily Driver

okfreemen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA, I am a first time jeep owner, I just got a 1997 4DR XJ AW4 4.0L for free. It's in fair shape. The Bad is horrible case of death wobble, non working windows, non working rear hatch, blown struts, mostly all bushings worn out. The Good is engine and transmission quiet, smooth and solid, and only few small spots of body rust. It already had a poorly done 3-4" lift on 32s which I think likely contributed to all suspension components being worn so badly.

In first week of November we are expecting our second child, so my goal for the jeep is to have a safe daily driver that can fit two car seats in the rear.
2-2.5" lift on either 30 or 31s daily driver.

Here are all the parts that have arrived at my door step so far:

bilstein 5100s (24-185622 front, 24-185-639 rear)
crown +1" 190lb coils (52088104)
+1.3" 2x coil isolators (ENE-2.6103G)
crown +1" HD leafs (4886186AA)
+1" rear shackles (ZO J5107)
Currie HD Tierod and draglink (CE-9701)
rs7000MT stearing stabilizer (RS7401)
Adjustable Trackbar (JKS OGS126)
RE adjustable lower control arms (RE3715)
sway bar links (ZO J5300)
energy suspension sway bar mount (ENE-9.5161G)
stock replacement bump stops + 2x hockey pucks

Above parts probably totaling around $1500

Open to any tips or suggestions you might have as far as achieving my goals as noted above. Thanks all!

2132lwk.jpg

3eakh.jpg

I didn't see them in there, but since you have it that torn down if say do the upper arm bushings. And it sounds like your on your way to getting it daily ready. Just put the stuff in. :)

Thanks, your are probably right, upper control arm bushings and engine mounts I should probably do and I had not thought of those yet.

Also if your not sure of when they were done change all of the fluids. Glad I did, changed the rear diff and when I pulled the rear cover off I found small bits that had come out of the LSD. Carrier, bearings and new LSD clutch pack later it's my daily driver and I've put 20k on it so far no prob. Also did a 3.5 lift since I needed to change worn out bushings as well.

I thought the Currie steering setup would only work above ~4" lift. You should be fine with the ZJ setup.

Also I saw upper control arm bushings and engine mounts, but check the transmission mount as well.

What part of Oklahoma are you from?

I thought the Currie steering setup would only work above ~4" lift. You should be fine with the ZJ setup.

Also I saw upper control arm bushings and engine mounts, but check the transmission mount as well.

What part of Oklahoma are you from?

Sorry for the delay wife delivering in a few days and been working on house projects.. had some delay waiting on parts. I live in jenks, OK

About Currie Steering...

"NOTE: This unit is designed to be used on vehicles with 4" of lift. It can be used on vehicles with less lift, but the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock). Also, on vehicles with no lift, 2 of the tie rod ends may need be trimmed to achieve proper adjustment. "

I'll see once i get to that part, but sounds like it make require cutting a bit off a tie rod end, who knows?

I took the advice of the previous poster about also doing upper control arms, and let me just say...

That driver side axle bushing is a b***ch, my neighborhood got to hear me cursing for a couple hours and the wife comign out occasionaly to make sure the car didn't fall on me. I used the drill rubber out technique, then a combination of BFH with chisel, and then slight use of a sawzall to grab/cut/rattle the sleeve out, that was 30% of the battle. But getting the new one in took a combination of long threaded home made bushing press to get it started (10% of the way), gaint balljoint press (80%) , giant pipe and BFH (90%). I tore up the new one going in a bit on the outside from the BFH and its still only about 90% in, but at this point I think I will leave it that way cus I dont know what else to do. I did use plenty of grease and froze the bushing beforehand but I don't think that did anything.

I used whiteline poly bushings (QTY 4 in kit) which come with metal sleeve #W51749

148kpr9.jpg

2q32992.jpg

315gzkg.jpg

2j2aglj.jpg

Maybe in 15 years this will become this guys jeep.
73l9ht.jpg

Back