• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help, front lower control arm upper brackets

okfreemen

NAXJA Forum User
So i just inherited my first jeep for free. A 1997 4dr xj. Can anyone tell me what the replacement for the inner bracket shown in the picture. Is this a stock configuration? I used a sawzall to cut the upper bolt and did some damage. Thankyou.

1zq4o46.jpg

Chrysler calls them a Clevis. The idea is that to adjust castor you can put shims between the back of the clevis (where the studs are) and the frame. It is part number 52000532. They are NLA from the dealer, but aftermarket places may sell them. Here's a link to Teamcherokee since they have an easy picture to see:

http://teamcherokee.com/lower-contr...bracket-oem-jeep-cherokee-comanche-1984-2001/

I don't recommend going with Teamcherokee since they get very poor reviews. I showed this link since it showed the best picture in a quick search.

If you position the bolt where the old bolt marks are on the frame and use washers to take up the difference of the clevis, you could probably do away with the clevis. And as long as you didn't damage it too bad you can reuse what you have. From the picture it looks reusable but I can't see the other side.

Thank you very much for the explanation and the link.

Since I have new (RE3715) adjustable lower control arms, can I remove the Clevis altogether and just position the bolt in the rear of the slot?

Do i understand correctly that the clevis does not provide any additional mechanical strength to the bracket and that I can just replace with washers of the same thickness?

Well, without the clevis in place, or a welded washer in place, the control arm would move in the elongated holes.

Back