• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater vent temp

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Interested in getting a collection of temperature readings from the vents when heater is on full and engine is warmed up. I measured mine at around 150 (+/-5 depending) and could not find anything to compare it with. Lots of AC temperature readings, no heater readings. Winter is coming and people will be complaining, so lets get some average readings to reference.

I do not want to complicate things but I will give you my findings.

I am in North East Fl. On my way home from work the XJ outside thermometer read 65*.
Temperature at the vents was measured with an inexpensive chicken/turkey probe inserted into the passenger upper vent. Fan speed on 3.
Engine temperature between 200* and 206* as per dash gage.
Measured temperature was between 135* and 140* coming out of the vent (the probe is accurate to less than 5*).

I am not sure the setup of my XJ is relevant but there is no mechanical fan on my XJ. Instead there are dual electric fans tasked with keeping coolant temperature at acceptable levels.

I'm looking for practical readings, if they vary a lot then that is valuable

They should all start the same, around 195-215 coolant temperature from the thermostat housing, a small drop as it goes through the engine bay, then the rest of the drop from the outside air getting sucked into the dash. I'm looking for the temperature from the vents after the car is warmed up.

Last edited:
I do not want to complicate things but I will give you my findings.

I am in North East Fl. On my way home from work the XJ outside thermometer read 65*.
Temperature at the vents was measured with an inexpensive chicken/turkey probe inserted into the passenger upper vent. Fan speed on 3.
Engine temperature between 200* and 206* as per dash gage.
Measured temperature was between 135* and 140* coming out of the vent (the probe is accurate to less than 5*).

I am not sure the setup of my XJ is relevant but there is no mechanical fan on my XJ. Instead there are dual electric fans tasked with keeping coolant temperature at acceptable levels.

At 65 I am using my ac not the heat.

At 65 I am using my ac not the heat.

Ha! I did not expect this thread again,....

I do not remember the reason I turned on the heater in 65 degree temperature,....Maybe it was to get a baseline reading for Ehall. Either way, I am from the Caribbean and I am skinny. Skinny people like me need a few more layers of fat to help them to cope when it is cold in the US. In addition, on my island when it get to 70 degrees we all run and hide. It is too cold. :eyes:

It is interesting to see based on the post by Ehall yesterday, the reading from my XJ is close to the suggested reading found in the XJ FSM. :yelclap:

sorry for the bump

tenor.gif

Back