• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key won't yurn to lock

raptor314

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help guys. I have a 90 XJ with an AW4. When I got it, the ignition cylinder and key were pretty worn. If the steering wheel was locked, you would need the key to start it, but otherwise it would start without anything in the cylinder. I put changing the cylinder on my "to do" list because I was able to lock the steering. So I was too worried about it getting stolen.

So last week I put it in the shop to get the heater core replaced and when I got it back I noticed that my ignition would not go back to the locked position. And with my keyless starting issue I figured it was time to replace the cylinder.

So I bought a new ignition switch/key cylinder and put it in, however I have the same issue with the switch not going to lock.

I did some searching and some people talked about the park interlock cable needing adjustment. I pulled the center console and examined the cable and didn't see any way to adjust it. There' a blue and white wire going to a junction on the cable. In Park, the white is hot and the blue is not. The blue looks like it goes up into the steering collumn.

With the shop pulling my dash to do the heater core, I'm guessing they disconnected something having to do with this system. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or experienced the same problem?

Last edited:
I disconnected the interlock cable, so I can shift it out of Park without a key.
Maybe try disco the cable at the trans and see if that helps?

I figured it out and fixed it. It did have to do with the park interlock mechanism. The extension of the cable coming in at about 11:00 on the collumn has a female ball socket ( the black part in the pic). The male part is the silver piece and deals with the lock mechanism for the collumn. Inserted the silver piece into the black piece and now all is good.
94fb46a4ee3b870944439ef495782050.jpg
I think the monkeys that did my heater core knocked it loose when dealing with the dash.

Back