• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Melted blower fan speed switch

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been brought up many times, but I was wondering if anything new has come up on it.

week or so ago my blower and ac stopped, yes it was both as i had no blower on heat either.

As it turns out my speed switch decided to fry itself. Replaced it and the conector with indivudual crimp terminals.
Has anyone found a place selling a new plug for the speed switch. Or for the climate range/mode selector. A couple of those wires don't look healthy either. I had to remove this to clean it's contacts before the fan and ac would work again. :-( I hate old and poorly thought wiring).

Any other sugestions to prevent more magic smoke escaping?

94 with factory 134r system. 120xxx

Thanks Chris

I would say now is a good time to replace the blower motor itself as that is probably the most likely culprit. Figure the bearings are no longer as free spinning and resistance in general has increased on that circuit.

As to the connector itself, I have found good ones in the JY by pulling them from Renix era XJs. I don't know the full scope of the differences, but the Renix era wiring takes off toward the passenger side (in the direction of the fan motor itself) while the H.O. era wiring takes off toward the driver's side (this being viewed from the location of the connector, in the dash). It is also easier to get a longer pigtail out of a Renix XJ. Longer leads give you more options to stagger your splices.

I should also note, though it is now too late for the OP, if someone else is approaching this same problem, you don't necessarily have to cut and re-splice any or all of those wires. If it is just the plastic housing that is melted and the wires are not burnt and brittle it is fairly simple to release the terminals inside the connector housing and transfer them from one housing to another. Odds are they will not all of them be damaged. Keep splices to a minimum.

if it was the just plastic housing i would have. unfortunally i can't post a pic yet, but it charred 3 of the four wires. and one of the wires on the selcetor switch is charred as well. as the the pigtails i've got a harness at home from my other 94 that i scrapped and salvaged when it got totalled, i just not sure of the state of the conector yet. (94 135xxx)

thanks chris

also right now there is a 30amp fuse in the blower moter slot in the under dash fuse panel. according to my haynes and ciltons manuals it says it's supost to be a 25 amp. will the extra 5 amp capacity in the fuse hurt. or should i go grab a 25 amp fuse and put it in.

Thanks chris.

The 30 amp fuse would be a reasonable culprit behind the charring of three of the wires rather than just one or two.

Fuses and wiring size generally go hand in hand. If you go up a fuse size you are going outside the range the wire is expected to handle, and Jeep already pushed the limits on the wiring in the XJs.

I would go back to 25 and replace the blower motor. And I would replace the resistor too.

I went through my '96 and replaced the connector, the motor, the resistor and added four relays to run the blower motor through those instead of the switch. That might be more than you care to do, but I would certainly refresh the stock components. Overheated wiring can lead to sub-optimal results.

The fuse was from the prvious owner. iv'e looked into the relays but the conector for the relays are expensive local store want $10 a peice.

Thanks chris

Junkyard.

Or spade terminals:

heaterWiring48OPT.jpg

Back