• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help diagnosing a bizarre electrical issue!

tdmac74

NAXJA Forum User
Today after a long 2 hour drive in my 92, 4.0, manual I shut the engine off for just a minute to access our gate and when I tried to restart the engine I had no electrical power of any kind (no light, radio, ac, nothing). After sitting there with the door open for just a couple minutes the dome light came back on and I was able to start the jeep and it ran fine. After driving up the drive way I shut the engine off again and tried to immediately restart the engine and again had no power. I popped the hood to look for anything out of the ordinary and didn't see any obvious signs. Again after just a few minutes and without touching anything the dome lights popped back on and the jeep started and ran just fine. I have now check all the connections at the battery, and all the grounds as well as the bulkhead connection at the firewall and fuses and everything seems to be in order. Once started it runs fine but will not restart immediately after shutting the engine off. I need some ideas of what to start checking.

Open cell in the battery?

Ignition switch and battery wire connections is where to start. Is the switch malfunctioning, are there wiring issues in the switch wire harness, or is there no voltage due to loose or corroded connections ?

Thanks for the input. Batter is Red top and only a couple months old but will have it checked. I will also start checking the ign. switch circuit.

On a side note, I went out this morning to start the jeep up and no power whereas previously the jeep would start on the first try and fail on the second start.

Back