• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, what to do now........

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed the other week, the bushings on my rear leaf springs were shot.

So, I order some new ones up, along with some new bumpstops I have been needing, and get to work. Yes, I did spray the bolts/nuts/bushings with wd40 everyday for a week prior to working on it.

All the leaf spring bolts come out fine, and I get the old bushings out, install the new, and start to put it all back together, when WHAM !! MURPHY STRIKES A HUGE BLOW !!

The shackle on the passengers sides is toast...and I mean burnt toast. So, I figure what's another day, I'll take these off, get some new shackles, and be done by monday.

HA HA HA

Well, the nut inside the frame broke loose on the passengers side, and the bolt itself broke @ the nut on the drivers side. So, I end up cutting the shackles & bolts out, and now, I have a big hole where the passengers side nut is supposed to be, and a nut with a stud in it where the drivers side is.

All the shackle relocation brackets I've seen use the stock bolt and/or nut to locate the new stuff, and for strength to some degree. I got no hope of being able to do that on one side.

Anyone got any ideas short of welding them in ?? Not against that, but it limits future work as I am not sure I want to go lift or no lift. If I do weld them in, I'm almost needing to go with the lift ones, as at least it gives me a flat surface to mount to for future mods, but it may very well interfere with the exhaust.

Maybe the jeep gods are pushing me towards a coil spring conversion....which I have been drooling over...as that would not need any of the hanger buckets to be re-used.

Last edited:
I had to do this once. If i remember right i had some steel laying around bent a little L shaped piece with a hole drilled and welded a new nut on the backside. Then welded the whole L plate up in the shackle box.

IMHO, Brian's no lift brackets don't necessarily require the factory shackle bolt location to function properly. There is enough strength in the lower and upper attachment points to hold up just fine.

I personally wouldn't weld them on.
Can I ask why? I am debating welding on some when I get them.

IMHO, Brian's no lift brackets don't necessarily require the factory shackle bolt location to function properly. There is enough strength in the lower and upper attachment points to hold up just fine.

I personally wouldn't weld them on.

My fear without welding them on, is that I'll have to jack up the frame & support the springs/rear axle to remove the hitch....as the brackets & hitch share the same bolts/holes.

Back