• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix era power steering problems

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Please help, this has been a 3-week saga.
Took the 87 Comanche (2.5) on a 120-mile round trip, and when I pulled into the driveway coming home, I heard the PS system whine. Got out, and there was fluid all over the ground.

I have replaced everything under the hood in the last 10 years, including the PS system. The reservoir appeared to be seeping, and being that it's plastic, I bought a new Crown one and installed, bled, and...still leaking.

My wife was due any day at that point, and I took it to a shop, which I never do. It needed an alignment anyway, so I took it to a shop that I only to to alignments for...bad move.

They replaced the reservoir to steering gear hose, replaced all fluid with ATF+4, charged me $40 and gave it back. Of course, it was pouring all over the ground when I got back. They refused to re-evaluate, saying, "just replace the pump, it's whining and probably not regulating pressure." It made SOME sense, since the fluid was coming out around the reservoir cap and out the vent hole.

Replaced the pump, bled everything, and ...still leaking.

Took it back, said "please fix it." They called to say that the gear (which I replaced with a used ZJ unit a few years back) "wasn't flowing," causing pressure problems, and thus the leak. My buddy had a good used one on his shelf, I took it there and they swapped them. Then a week went by and the truck didn't move. So I called -- "You guys stumped?" They admitted they were. I took the truck back. No charge!

The tech I usually use got wind of the whole thing, since one of his guys' brother works at the other shop (small town). He wanted no part of this mess, but told me that "air is getting in somewhere!" likely on the low pressure side, since none of the high pressure fittings were leaking.

OK, I bought all new hoses, Gates brand, with O-rings. Put everything together, bled (for a loooooong time with the engine off), engine on, topped it off, and ...still leaking.

EVERY component except for the reservoir lid has been replaced. When I pull the cover off the reservoir while it's running, fluid POURS out, it's a tempest in there. Not so much foamy because of the ATF-4. Anyone have any ideas? Can a bad seal on the lid let air in? I mean, it already has a vent hole. I am stumped, and the street in front of my house is a mess.

Any help greatly appreciated--

Tom

First off, you should be using power steering fluid, not ATF+4.

OK, and next?

It had the same problem when it had PS fluid in it, when the whole thing began. Chrysler, at one point, updated their recommendation for fluid to ATF +4

Last edited:
I run atf in mine. It's fine and quiet. I don't know if it's possible but are the lines hooked up on the gear wrong?

You can try removing the pressure valve from the pump, it's what the pressure line threads into, and clean it out. I think there is a screen in there too that can be clogged

Back