• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gettin real tired of your S**T jeep.

AKghandi

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1Hasta!!!1Hasta

so my jeep has been doing this thing for a while now where it will randomly decide not to start, its infuriating.

90 xj limited.

before someone says CPS its the first thing I checked. getting a solid .8, my other 90 limited shows only .2 and it runs peachy.

switched the ICM and coil between the two and it made no difference.

fuel pump is new and I can always hear it run. the sound is always the same. priming the pump a few times makes no difference. resistor bypassed.

almost every sensor has less than 5k on them.

all grounds cleaned, and all engine bay connectors cleaned and greased.

recent tune up.

it didnt want to start for 3 days, tonight I finally went out and messed with it. nothing seemed to help, until I asked it nicely... then it started and ran like normal.

it seems like the only somewhat common factor is the weather. when its raining it will sometimes* not start, but on nice days its fine.
however it may go weeks being well behaved, rain or shine.

It seems like the ecu may be getting power intermittently and I am wondering where the power comes from. I cleaned all the relays on the pass side.

could it be that "starter relay" box thing by the battery with all the wires coming off it? its one of the few things i have not replaced.

Was wondering the same as "ehall". Had a similar issue, but specifically the engine would not turn over, i.e; it was a simple loose starter/solenoid wire fastener.

Try switching around your relays, and that might prove to find one faulty. Some have found corrosion underneath the relay/fuse chassis, and although you have cleaned the relays, there might not be a totally clean pathway. Some have found a faulty ignition switch, and/or the connector underneath the steering column.

Where are you? Los Anchorditch?

Spins.., hmmm.., maybe you are not getting enough gasoline, or proper spark Air, fuel, fire. Perhaps your starter is not engaging your flywheel. Under the no start condition, (just spinning like a banshee), can you put your XJ in gear, and have vehicle movement when you turn over your starter?

if it turns over then the starting circuit is fine, problem is lack of air / fuel / spark

crank no start after sitting for a while is probably a leaky check valve in the fuel pump, monitor fuel pressure to determine

crank no start when hot is probably a leaking injector, flooding a cylinder

could also be a stuck IAC valve. try holding the pedal down while starting and see if it helps

couple of other possibilities--check for spark and also listen to the injectors with a mechanics stethoscope, this will tell you if the computer is getting the necessary cam/crank timing signals and the necessary circuits are all working

Just went threw the same thing a few threads below this with my Renix. All of a sudden the past two weeks it has not been wanting to start after sitting and it would just crank and crank and crank, I could hear the pump prime but still it would sometimes take 10 minutes of trying to get it to fire up. Cruiser54 gave me the idea to check the fuel pump ground behind the trim panel where the spare tire mounts. I cleaned the ground the other night like he said and now on day 2 the issue is gone and it has fired up every single time right away.

The engine turns over. Starting circut is fine. Fuel pump is brand new. Will prime to 39 psi.

It just doesnt want to start. Not sure yet if the issue is spark or injector cycle or both.

Ignition switch is new also. The list of things I havent replaced is shorter than what I have replaced.

The engine turns over. Starting circut is fine. Fuel pump is brand new. Will prime to 39 psi.

It just doesnt want to start. Not sure yet if the issue is spark or injector cycle or both.

Ignition switch is new also. The list of things I havent replaced is shorter than what I have replaced.

Airtex?

Id still check the fuel pump ground. My pump would also prime but I would still take up to 15 minutes of me cranking on it and then it would randomly decide to start, a few times it would fire up fine, a couple times it sputtered on me and died on acceleration. All my symptoms were pointing towards other issues and in the end cleaning up this ground was all the issue was. It takes 10 minutes to do it and then you can rule that out if it doesn't resolve the issue.

XJ20Body20Ground_zps5sw8azfa.jpg

If you know it has good fuel pressure, and you know you're getting spark/injector firing, then the problem must be air. I don't know if you've actually done the testing necessary to positively eliminate fuel and spark. OR its another set of parts you can throw at it anyway.

I havent ruled out spark or injectors. Havent had an extra hand to help check.

I did however check the cps and coild and icm. None of those were the issue

Also i should clarifiy. Once the heep starts it runs like normal and will restart no problem. However it will randomly not start after sitting for a bit.

This is exactly what mine was doing. Once running it would run like a top and would restart fine but after sitting overnight or trying to start it after working all day it would not want to fire up and would just crank.. Ill say it again check the fuel pump ground.

Truck did it to me again today. Spins and spins but wiuldnt fire. Grabbed a spark tester and its getting good spark so its got to be injectors not firing. It never smells rich so its gotta be it.. but what could cause that?. All grounds have been checked and double checked.

if you're getting spark then the injectors are probably firing too, since they're both controlled by the ECM. you can verify for sure with a noid tester though, autozone leases them out

you need to check fuel pressure the next time it happens

Back