• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement battery

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.
Looking to replace the battery in my 92. I am already running a group 34 (bigger, more ccas) my jeep is a daily driver, weekend trail rig. Nothing special electrically. Maybe running an air compressor and usually the stereo at camp.
Optimas are expensive...but I like the dry cell idea for off road.
What do you all suggest without breaking the bank. Like 100 bucks or less...?

Good luck finding ANY battery for under $100. Battery prices over the past several years have gone whacko. I've been running the Autozone Duralast with the 3 year free replacement warranty and they have been fine.

Optima's are AGM, not dry cell.

Check your local Costco. Not sure about AGM per-se, but 800cca replacement batt is has been under 100$
I believe that sometimes the Die Hard Platinum 34/78 (I think thats it) can be had for about 120$ THey are the ones made by Oddysey.

open the wallet and get the Optima...you wont be dissapointed. After doing many battery box repairs on aircraft and classic sports cars...I will only run an Optima in anything...NO LEAKS

FWIW my Optima Yellow Top, purchased new in April 2014, died on me on the trail a week and a half ago. And no, it was not a hard trail. 2wd type trail.

The Optimas are at least not quite so esoteric that a new one could not be found on a Sunday afternoon while on the outskirts of civilization. That was $270, although I got a refund on the lions share of that when I returned the dead battery to the place from which I had purchased it.

My old Optimas are still running strong. I don't know that they have fixed their "move to Mexico" problems yet.

Just my very recent experience.

I certainly want to know more about them.

Particularly, how feasible is it to mount this battery in a Dirtbound tray designed for an Optima:

http://autoplicity.com/2139534-odys...KS6t9-royoDxIsowt5PEpcidCqOzC8CaPYhoCLfvw_wcB

And then, what does it take to find a replacement when you suddenly discover you need one? Unplanned-like?
From my understanding, the sears die hard platinum version is one in the same. Good warranty if something does happen. I've thought about going that route. And going with the ruffstuff battery tray. I wish that the dbo "universal" tray had the gm style mount.

I went to a local supplier for the AGM battery produced by East Penn manufacturing. I learned they produce batteries for a number of private labels. I am happy with my DEKKA battery

FWIW, my bud picked up the Duralast Platinum, it is made in USA and looks much like my battery. ;)

Optima used to be good, but since they were bought and sold and whatever in the mid 2000's they are not what they used to be. I have had them go out just outside of warranty and my buddy who ran a shop had a stack of them that also failed. I'm told the Yellows are the better ones as production may have moved back to the U.S. but I am not willing to give them any more money. On one it shorted internally so I could not even jump start the vehicle with it connected. Once we disconnected the battery it jumped fine. I considered Odyssey but they are usually mail order and what happens when it dies unexpectedly? I've since switched to Auto Zone Duralast batteries and they have been OK for the price/warranty plus they are readily available.

Both of my recent yellow tops (April 2014 & September 2015) have been marked made in Mexico.

The internal shorting such that it could not even be jumped was my experience as well.

I have the exact same concern about trying to find a replacement Odyssey when I suddenly and unexpectedly need a replacement. The fact that Sears carries them doesn't help that much. Sears has been circling the drain for a while now. I don't expect to be able to count on them.

Check your local Costco. Not sure about AGM per-se, but 800cca replacement batt is has been under 100$
I believe that sometimes the Die Hard Platinum 34/78 (I think thats it) can be had for about 120$ THey are the ones made by Oddysey.

Die Hard platinum are no more, they used to be odysseys. They are now "advanced gold" and are AGMs made by east penn/deka.

open the wallet and get the Optima...you wont be dissapointed. After doing many battery box repairs on aircraft and classic sports cars...I will only run an Optima in anything...NO LEAKS

Optimas have sucked for the last few years since they moved to mexico.

I went to a local supplier for the AGM battery produced by East Penn manufacturing. I learned they produce batteries for a number of private labels. I am happy with my DEKKA battery

I really like Deka batteries. Ran my last group 34 regular wet cell for 5 years, then a friend took it and used it for another.

I just bought a bosch AGM group 34 ($200 :eek:) bc I needed a new battery and it was the only one worth it's salt I could get on a sunday afternoon.

You guys are a great source of info. I'm sure others will need this soon fall/early winter is when dead batteries show up. Getting one local is important to me too. Sounds like optima is out, but 4wheelparts seems to have good deals on them. About 160.

FWIW, my bud picked up the Duralast Platinum, it is made in USA and looks much like my battery. ;)
Deka is great. Kept going through the nice advance auto batteries and went to these, lasts so much more. Think we have only warranty a handful at work.

Opinion of optima batteries has been going downhill for some time.

The idea of getting a big AGM battery for under $100 is just silly and laughable.

Looking seriously at the fire last platinum now. 160$ in stock at autozone.l which is nice. 3yr warranty not sure what that covers but will find out

Another vote for East Penn/Deka. They are made in the USA in Pennsylvania in a state-of-the-art plant. I use both lead acid and the AGM's in everything I have.

Back