• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

connecting stainless steel tube to pump/filter?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm running a new fuel line in my cherokee... I'm going to run stainless tube for as much of the run as I can. I've bent plenty of transmission lines/oil cooler lines (i.e., lower pressure) and had no problem using compression fittings...but I'm not sure they'd be appropriate for a fue l line (max pressure in my application will be around 45 psi) a few questions:

• I'd like to all the way to the new EFI unit I'm installing using stainless steel tube. I've seen a few sites that have tube->an fitting converters, but everything I've seen appears to be for aluminum,and is at best equivocal as to whether it can be used for steel. anyone ever use compression fittings (flareless) on a steel line?
  • at the back end, I'm going into a high pressure filter, and from that, into the in-tank pump. I'd like to run the line directly up to the filter-- the filter has standard fittings for a hose/clamp. I'm assuming in this situation I'm stuck putting a hose inbetween the filter and the hard line -- but are there any fittings that would work in this situation to connect the hard line directly to the filter?
  • Last, I'm assuming at some point I'm going to have to use flexible line -- I'm probably going to use braided stainless at those points. Again, I plan on using AN connections ... any problem with this, as opposed to just using high pressure FI hose and clamps, other than the extra work involved? I'm assuming a high pressure fuel hose with clamps would work just as well, but since I'm redoing kjust about all the plumbing I'd prefer to just do it correctly.

also, please, don't turn this into a braided steel vs. hard tube debate.

thanks!

Last edited:
For hardline to AN fitting use B-nuts & tube sleeves.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220634-2/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220633-2/overview/

This type of fitting will finish off your hardline with a female AN. You will have to single flare the end of the stainless line with a JIC 37.5 degree flare tool. This is the most secure way to terminate a hardline with an AN fitting.

I have no issues running compression fittings on low pressure lines. For high pressure (+30psi) or flammable liquids I would stay away.

For hardline to AN fitting use B-nuts & tube sleeves.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220634-2/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220633-2/overview/

This type of fitting will finish off your hardline with a female AN. You will have to single flare the end of the stainless line with a JIC 37.5 degree flare tool. This is the most secure way to terminate a hardline with an AN fitting.

I have no issues running compression fittings on low pressure lines. For high pressure (+30psi) or flammable liquids I would stay away.

Thanks-- This helps a ton. I'm going to go from the filter to the EFI unit using only stainless steel and AN fittings.

how do you connect the tube to the high pressure filter? I was planning on using fuel injection line-> AN fitting -> tube, and connect the line to the filter using fuel injection clamps (this is how it's described in the manual for the TBI unit). For the connection between high pressure filter - in tank pump, I'm again planning on using fuel injection flexible line with clamps. this would be a total of maybe 1 foot of tubing, everything else will be stainless steel. the connections on the high pressure filter/fuel pump are already flared, so I'd have to cut the connector, add an fittings, and then reflare ... any thoughts on this?

Well I know its not cheap but this is titties...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-ls9904-kit

For $70 bucks you get a high pressure filter AND fuel pressure regulator with AN fittings.

It's just a Chevy LS fuel filter so it's easy to find at the auto parts store if you need a replacement. The pressure regulator is pre set at around 52psi which will work great with your Terminator EFI setup.

The other bonus is that it has the fuel return coming out of it as well so as long as you mount it back by your tank the return line will be very short and a breeze to plumb. This needs to be plumbed between the pump and EFI system. I would also run a pre filter before your pump, since it's on the suction side a cheap filter, rubber hose and worm clamps would work fine.

If you already have a regulator then you might want to spend the coin on a nice billet filter with AN fittings. 40 micron minimum for a fuel injection filter. Here's one for $27

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-650133/overview/

I wouldn't suggest clamping stainless braided hose to a nipple with hose clamps for a pressure line.

Well I know its not cheap but this is titties...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-ls9904-kit

For $70 bucks you get a high pressure filter AND fuel pressure regulator with AN fittings.

It's just a Chevy LS fuel filter so it's easy to find at the auto parts store if you need a replacement. The pressure regulator is pre set at around 52psi which will work great with your Terminator EFI setup.

The other bonus is that it has the fuel return coming out of it as well so as long as you mount it back by your tank the return line will be very short and a breeze to plumb. This needs to be plumbed between the pump and EFI system. I would also run a pre filter before your pump, since it's on the suction side a cheap filter, rubber hose and worm clamps would work fine.

If you already have a regulator then you might want to spend the coin on a nice billet filter with AN fittings. 40 micron minimum for a fuel injection filter. Here's one for $27

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-650133/overview/

I wouldn't suggest clamping stainless braided hose to a nipple with hose clamps for a pressure line.

Thanks, again very helpful. I went with this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-12301

So now, the only portion of the line I'm using any kind of hose is about a foot between the high pressure filter and the fuel tank.

AN plumbing with plastic clips and hose clamps?? Why bother.

never said I was using plastic clips. Earls makes push-on style hose ends that terminate in AN female.

at this point the only portion I won't have stainless line is from the high pressure filter to the tank, which is about a 14" run.

I was refering to the fuel regulator/filter benzomAtic posted, which does.

ah. gotcha.
But screw it.. I'm going to cut the flare on the fuel pump, put on an -6an female fitting, and make the entire high pressure entire run from pump to EFT stainless hard line with AN fittings.

while I'm at it, may as well throw in another question.
Is there any issue with adding a break in the fuel supply line, and joining w/ an fittings?
I'm running the fuel line up the driver side frame, and to avoid headers, suspension and steering, need to mak an abrupt 90 degree right turn, and then another 90 degree right turn up into the engine bay. Bending the line while in place is impossible, and bending it first and fitting it in is also impossible. I'm thinking of cutting the line, fitting an female fittings on the end, and connecting with a 90 degree MTM AN coupler.

just to be clear, this is all stainless steel hard line. not braided stainless steel.

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

AN plumbing with plastic clips and hose clamps?? Why bother.

Well yes it does use the plastic clips to secure the AN fitting to the filter. Have you looked under the hood of any newer car lately? This is industry standard nowadays. As for the hose clamps you lost me. There are no hose clamps on the filter assembly anywhere.

I have used this filter/regulator combo in the past with great results. To each his own I suppose. I am an anal retentive plumbing snob. Nothing turns me off more than shitty plumbing/wiring.

JMG... I don't see any issues with your 90 degree fittings. Any sharp 90 degree bend will drop flow rate but this isn't a 3000hp nitro burner so I'm sure you will be fine.

Well yes it does use the plastic clips to secure the AN fitting to the filter. Have you looked under the hood of any newer car lately? This is industry standard nowadays. As for the hose clamps you lost me. There are no hose clamps on the filter assembly anywhere.

I have used this filter/regulator combo in the past with great results. To each his own I suppose. I am an anal retentive plumbing snob. Nothing turns me off more than shitty plumbing/wiring.

JMG... I don't see any issues with your 90 degree fittings. Any sharp 90 degree bend will drop flow rate but this isn't a 3000hp nitro burner so I'm sure you will be fine.

Thanks--- between research, this site, and pirate's site, I went from total newbie on this to having just about everything I need -- totally stoked to run this line tonight. I mocked everything up last night using aluminum line (easy to bend by hand) so I have a model when I'm bending the stainless line. Got everything I need to go stainless with AN fittings from the gas tank to the EFI unit.

Back