• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Seat Heaters Advice?

WesWood151

NAXJA Forum User
So we just moved to up-state NY after 6 1/2 years in HI and it's already getting cold here. I had planned on getting around to a block heater and some seat heaters, but I think I need to step up my timeline a little bit.

Has anyone added aftermarket seat heaters to their XJ and if so would you recommend your brand or not and why? There are quite a few to choose from on Amazon and the like and they all have a wide range of reviews...

Thanks, Wes

I have not personally installed aftermarket seat heaters.

I did however see on Wet Okole website that you can order their seat covers with a seat heater. It's a $78 dollar option to add elements to both front seats.

Seems like an easy way to add heat to your seats.

Wet okoles are really nice and I love mine in the winter months. Still need to hardware it to a 3way switch because they give its hi/lo/off goes to the cig lighter.

Pricey though

Wet Okole (Okole is butt in Hawaiian) and I enjoyed having them in my TJ in Hawaii, but I'm looking at some that I can add to the OEM leather seats in my Limited. It's not Land Rover leather, but I'm going to get all I can out of it.

WJ seats?

Where abouts in upstate? I'm near Binghamton.

I wouldn't worry about the engine blocks heater - we've been here for 30 years, and never seen a need for it, and the cars sit outside.

I do have heated seatss in the cars and trucks and will readily admit they are very nice. My wife's Mazda2 does not, and she bought a slip on heated cover. It's held up for two years. Crude, but cheap and it does work. I originally was going to put a kit in, but dis-assembly of the seat looked a bit daunting.

David Bricker / SYR

David, I'm 2 hrs north in Watertown. I could likely get away without the block heater, but it may reduce the time it takes my heater to warm up. As for the seat heaters in your Jeep, did you install them in the seats and what kind were they?

David, I'm 2 hrs north in Watertown. I could likely get away without the block heater, but it may reduce the time it takes my heater to warm up. As for the seat heaters in your Jeep, did you install them in the seats and what kind were they?

You're close enough to maybe meet sometime, even if for a drink or dinner, perhaps in Syracuse? I fly out of Syracuse frequently.

In Watertown, yes, maybe block heater would be of more value than in my area. You're another 10 degrees cooler.

Unfortunately, my Jeep doesn't have seat heaters. Fortunately, since it lives in Death Valley, there isn't a lot of call for seat heaters. Our other vehicles came from the factory with seat heaters, except my wife's Mazda2.

Yes, the universal seat cover heaters are marginal. But they have held up for my wife for three years so far, at 28K miles per year, and are a darn sight cheaper. Perhaps you could use those for this year, and then explore your options for next year. Not a big investment, and a quick fix.

David Bricker / SYR

From what I've read they like to catch on fire

From what I understand WJ seats rely on a controller, not a standard on/off/on switch. That's why my ass isn't warm in the 96 which has WJ seats. I do, however, currently have a heating pad wired up to my inverter because I'm old and my back hurts.

Back