• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White smoke / knocking after water pump failure

jmsummers2012

NAXJA Forum User
Help! What have I done.

My water pump bit the dust and threw the serpentine belt clean off. I replaced both and fired it up.

I was letting it warm up so I could add more fluid to the bottle when it started smoking. I chalked this up to water I spilled when blowing out my heater core.

Then the white smoke started billowing and it started making a horrible knocking sound. The smoke is coming from the right side near the exhaust manifold. The electric fan kicked on at 210 but I don't think the thermostat clicked over. It didnt drink any more coolant which struck me as odd. When I shut it off, the oil pressure is lower than I had ever seen it.

99 Jeep XJ 4.0
15*,***

Oil on the dipstick looks normal
Started up fine, oil pressure good.
Still scared to drive it

Air pocket in head could've blown hg. . .
Take a look at the sparkplugs too.

Last edited:
Looks like i have caused catastrophic damage. I've got chocolate milk in the coolant reservoir.

It never got above 210 degrees so an air pocket causing overheating in the head might be it.

Last edited:
I think there are 2 different water pumps for these engines, one that is supposed to rotate CCW, and one that is supposed to rotate CW. Someone might have handed you the wrong one.

I know I have the right water pump. I compared them at Napa. The Autozone variety lasted 30,000 miles and imploded violently without warning. Metal shavings inside and out. Only noticed when the power steering stopped working because the belt slipped.

I did a block test, the chemical variety and it came up negative.

Update. Knocking was loud, sounded like the top end closest to the cab.

I've got metal shavings and black particles on the dipstick.

Oil is definitely in the coolant.

Exhaust is blowing water vapor.

Is it time for a new engine or should I tear it apart and look for damage?

Either way, you need to pull the engine. Once out, it wouldn't hurt to pull the head and pan before getting a different engine, but it sounds like serious damage.

I've got metal shavings and black particles on the dipstick.

Oil is definitely in the coolant.

Exhaust is blowing water vapor.

For the love of GOD, stop running this engine. You have turned the coolant into a milkshake and at a minimum, trashed some bearings. It MIGHT still be rebuildable, but not if you keep running it. You wont know for sure until you pull it and take it apart...might be easier / cheaper for you to get a bebuilt unit.

Back