• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing LCA frame side brackets for long arms

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
so... i am in the process of removing my LCA mounts from the unibody in order to add long arms. i have the bulk of the brackets removed and am going to start grinding down the sharp edges that are left. what i am wanting to know exactly how much of the brackets do you guys remove?

the easy thing to do would be to grind down all the sharp edges and basically leave the flats from the brackets that appear to be spot welded to the frame frame. that is more than sufficient... but the perfectionist in me thinks i can grind the spot welds and get a pry bar behind what remains of the bracket, break it loose, and remove it completely.

thoughts? i plan to install the HD Offroad stiffeners before the LA install as well.

pictures would be wonderful...

You can cut or leave the "Excess" bracket piece. For a cleaner frame stiffie install removing those "flaps" will give it a better appearance and more area to weld.

so... the bracket is a two piece design. the outer "shell" appears pretty easy to remove. the inner "shell" has a large flat area that mates flush with the frame rail and is both stitch welded and spot welded.... im curious if anyone has done so successfully. i know this really doesnt need to be removed, but while im in there...

I have seen, what appear to be "cleanly cut" frame rails. I never went that far with mine because when I got my mid-arm kit installed was sorta in a time crunch. Not sure how "easy" the flat piece butted up to the frame is to remove.

If you are doing the "full" frame stiffener setup, I do not see what that flat plate would be much of an issue as long as the area that is being welded is nice and clean.

I took mine completely off. I used a rotabroach type tool to drill the welds as well as the edge of a cut off wheel. Those things are really on there. It took a lot of time but came out clean.

Cut it flush, clean up the edges and go onto another project. Its not worth the time to remove all the way.

Back