• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case (242) wear questions

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I have taken apart a NV 242 transfer case to replace the bearings. I have a concern about the front output gear and the oil pump. The gear wear doesn't look that bad to me and unless someone says otherwise I will run it. However, the oil pump doesn't look great to me. Let me know about that. Pics below.

op1.jpg

op2.jpg

op3.jpg

op4.jpg

op5.jpg

gr1.jpg

gr2.jpg

gr3.jpg

gr4.jpg

You didn't ask any questions. My opinion is the oil pump will make noise but will still work. You can get another one pretty easily if you don't want to hear it. More important question is why did it get scarred up? Did some metal bits get inside? or was it not picking up oil and it damaged itself (no internal oil film)?

For peace of mind,I would replace the pump.If you feel wear on the drive gear from the chain (I) would replace them.Age and mileage of the unit will determine how you should proceed
If I,m into a job that far,I would make it the best I could do.

I've had the case for about a year bought used and put in the ZJ. Was said to have 80k miles. So, I don't know the history of it. I opened it up before I put it in and did a brief inspection. Didn't really take a close look at anything. I clean the magnet and the screen at that time and put if back together. There were some silver bits on the screen and some metal on the magnet. it was all magnetic particles though. The chain isn't significantly stretched to notice. I haven't found the source of the trash, but it could be the oil pump itself. I also haven't gotten the front half of the parts out as I need to get a screw extractor. It was making a rumbling noise at slow speeds that sounded like its the front output shaft.

The oil pump probably picked up some of the metal bits before they were caught on the magnet. Like I said, it will make some noise but will still work.

If you are in the process of replacing the bearings already then I would open the differential and clean it really well too, sometimes the little metal particles get caught in there. The low-range planetary cannot be opened, but you can clean it pretty well once the input shaft has been removed. Make sure all the little plastic bushings are cleaned up and no particulate, else they will get chewed up and the pinion gears in the planetary will start to wear and burn up.

XJ_Diff_Blue_Pinion_Gear.sized.jpg

I'm going to give everything a good cleaning. I'll replace the pump and those two sprockets. Found what looks like a good used set of sprockets on ebay. I'm questioning replacing the chain. Do you know that torque specs for the diff bolts? The FSM doesn't list them.

I rebuilt the 242 in my sons jeep. I did not have any luck with the extractor. I had ordered the parts and kit from Novak. They sent a few sheets of step by step instructions on teardown and rebuild. Lucky for me it had another way of tearing it down as the extractor broke off in the roll pin. I am at work today but if you are interested i can find the sheets and send you those steps tomorrow. Just pm me if you are interested. I have to say the guys at Novak were great to work with. I had some questions during the rebuild and they were happy to help with any questions. I will buy the parts from them for my other sons jeep when i get ready to do it.

That second pic of the oil pump don't look to good to me.
You can put a caliper on the diff bolts and find out what size they are, there is a bolt torque chart in every Hayne's manual.
Reduce the torque if you use anti seize or such.

I'm am sure we all know what the word "bend" means in this instance. Pivot it out of place? Maneuver it to the side? Which description would work better for you? Only an idiot would actually try to bend the shift rod. Some people.

everybody should try it once

once

It took me 4 tries to get the pin out using the easy out, but I got it. Just needed a good knock with the hammer to get it seated. After the third try I decided to try the pry method. A little too much force for my liking so I gave the easy out one more try.

New chain, good used cogs, new pump, new bearings and seals. There was quite a bit of metal on the ID of the input gear. The pilot bearing for the main was quite worn as well. The main shaft still looked good though. Everything cleaned well. $270 later and it is back together. I'll install it tomorrow.

Back